Sundays are beach days for many students

While many students left campus for Fall Break, some of those who stayed behind headed for a day at the beach, courtesy of UM’s new shuttle service.

The beach shuttle service, which was one of the main points of interest in Student Government’s panel last year, began Oct. 1.

The shuttle, which runs from the University to Crandon Beach in Key Biscayne, runs every hour, taking about 25 minutes each way.

On the first day of operation three weeks ago, about 150 to 180 students took advantage of the shuttle, said sophomore Max Kelerstein, who checks students’ ‘Cane Cards when they get on the bus. Kelerstein checks for ‘Cane Cards so that the University can keep track of how many students take the bus and also because it wants to make sure only UM students are using the ride. Liability becomes less of a problem with only UM students riding, he said.

According to Kelerstein, the shuttles have been pretty busy since opening, though Sunday’s crowd was considerably smaller due to Fall Break.

Even so, on the last trip from the beach to UM, there were still enough riders to fill the entire bus. At 2 p.m. that day, the bus was only half-full at eight riders.

Sunday was freshmen Katelyn Vertucci and Amy Weber’s first ride on the beach shuttle. They, along with most others, got on board with a backpack and a towel.

“We’re going to enjoy the beach, swim and just hang out,” Weber said.

Vertucci said she learned of the beach shuttle from posters hung around her dorm hallway and in the residential college lobbies.

But others have used the beach shuttle already. Second-time rider Vivian Siu, senior, said it was worth it for students to use the shuttle.

“I think it’s a big advantage for UM students to take,” she said, adding that she likes Crandon Beach better than South Beach because there’s less of a crowd and she can walk around more easily.

According to Kelerstein, students usually bring beach balls, Frisbees, food and backpacks on the bus, but it doesn’t get too crowded. The students are laid-back during the bus ride, he said; most talk to each other, others listen to music and some do homework. Kelerstein makes sure there is even a movie, such as Keeping the Faith or Jerry Maguire playing on the in-bus television screen.

“People are happy they’re going to the beach, so they’re calm,” he said.

The shuttle leaves from Stanford Circle and Dickinson Drive starting at 10 a.m. The last bus from the beach back to UM leaves at 5 p.m.

The bus will run on Sundays through the rest of October but starting in November, it will run on both Saturdays and Sundays until Thanksgiving. No service is scheduled for the remainder of the semester, according to the schedule listed on UM’s web site.

Sam West can be contacted at s.west1@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...