School of Architecture unveils skillfully built new Center

A crowd of elegantly dressed people gathered outside the Jorge M. Perez Architecture Center sipping cocktails, eating hors d’oeuvres and mingling amid a background of light classical music to inaugurate the new building on Tuesday.

The ceremony, which began in the Stanley and Jewell Glasgow Lecture hall with an introduction by Dean of the School of Architecture Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk, included speakers such as President Donna E. Shalala. Also in attendance was Jorge M. Perez, member of the University’s Board of Trustees, for whom the building was named. Perez’s gift to the Momentum Campaign in 2002 pushed forward the School of Architecture’s building ambitions, which was originally launched in 1998.

In her speech, Shalala emphasized the importance of the building to the University. She also described it as a reflection of the School of Architecture.

“We needed a building as brilliant and as creative as the University architecture faculty, and we got it,” Shalala said.

The event brought students, professors and professionals in the field outside of UM together to witness the inauguration of the work of art.

“It was nice to see how the building brought together the architectural community,” Victoria Flattau, fifth-year architecture student, said.

The $6 million, 8,600 square foot building was designed by Leon Krier, a world-renowned architectural theorist and leader in traditional architecture and urbanism. He was also the guest of honor at the inauguration.

“It is an exciting experience that the students will be studying in a building that has been designed by an architect whose work they themselves have studied,” Anne Finch, alumna, said.

The building incorporates many different architectural aspects such as pillars, arches and pediments into one structure.

“This building is one of the most beautiful architectural statements I have ever seen,” Perez said. “It brings together so many aspects of architecture into one powerful statement.”

The new building includes an auditorium, a gallery and lecture halls. It will also serve as a meeting place for students and as common ground for all students at the School of Architecture.

Last year, UM Architecture students were given the opportunity to visit the construction site and observe the assembly of the new building.

“They took students throughout the construction process [periodically]with hardhats so we could see the development of the building,” Rachel Thomas, sophomore, said. “It was a learning experience because we are being trained in the design and now we could watch it being put together.”

The construction of the building serves a dual purpose. On one hand it is an architectural statement, a culmination of creativity and design. On the other hand, it is a monument that educates the students of architecture.

“Absolutely fantastic, a beautiful addition to the University,” Frank Martinez, associate professor, said. “More importantly, it honors the notion of people collecting to speak about academic issues.”

Karunya Krishnan can be contacted at k.krishnan@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...