On Center Stage

There’s a reason for the popularity of movies like Center Stage. And any viewer can tell you it’s definitely not the quality of the acting but the beauty of the dance.

Ballet is hypnotic-the narrative of a ballet is expounded by the lithe turning of the body, the passion expressed in the body’s movement. So it is with Jimmy Gamonet De Los Heros’ Ballet Gamonet that the art of ballet seems to be astounding. It is not always perfect, nor is every step in perfect synchronicity, but the Ballet Gamonet exudes overall beauty in performance.

In 2005, Ballet Gamonet and the Maximum Dance Company merged. Program I is its debut performance, the first of four this season.

Discussing the selection of the Gusman Performing Arts Center to be its new home, Gamonet expressed his sentiment on coming home: “To say that I am thrilled to be here in Miami-my home-would be an understatement.” Gamonet describes the Gusman as the “Renaissance Downtown,” the perfect place for the performance of the ballet.

While Gamonet Ballet is self-described as a contemporary dance-” a unique style of neo-classical ballet with a contemporary edge”-it doesn’t defy convention; rather, like all good artists, Gamonet seems to build upon his predecessors, extrapolating what he can, then creating something new and challenging.

The play opens with the dancers silhouetted before a lime green background. Their bodies are amazing. It’s edgy. It’s modern. It makes you want to take ballet lessons.

The second is Coeur de Basque, a love story. Combining elements of flamenco, gypsy folk dance and ballet-it is exquisite. It displays what the human body can do and the complement of the male and female form.

Just two lone dancers emerge for the third act: Purple Bend I. Anguish, sorrow and love is all played out as their bodies merge and diverge, en Pointe. Their relationship is ambiguous, but it is any couple, their relationship writhe with an emotional intensity that only love can bring.

The ballet ends with humor as a city slicker struggles to respect the “gaucho hat” adorned countrymen. A hero’s story, he falls in love with the beautiful La China. We see him plummet and then rise again; it all culminating in a grand finale of a large number of dancers on stage, the music intensifying, the dance surging…

The curtain closes on Miami’s ballet stage. A city of what is considered by outsiders a floundering culture has some great curtain openers.

Melanie Klesse can be contacted at m.klesse@umiami.edu.

The 2005-2006 Performance:

Miami Dade County Performances

Gusman Center for The Performing Arts

174 East Flagler Street, Downtown Miami

Program II – Jan. 27 to 28, 2006 at 8 p.m.

Program III – Feb. 24 to 25, 2006 at 8 p.m.

Program IV – May 12 to 13, 2006 at 8 p.m.

Discounts are available for student tickets.

Broward County Performance

Bailey Concert Hall

3501 SW Davie Road, Ft. Lauderdale

Program I – Oct. 15 at 8 p.m. & 16 at 3 p.m., 2005

Program II – Nov. 12 at 8 p.m. & 13 at 3 p.m., 2005

Program III – Feb. 11 at 8 p.m. & 12 at 3 p.m., 2006

Program IV – May 20 at 8 p.m. & 21 at 3 p.m., 2006

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...