LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Freedom of speech and expression is something that we should all pride ourselves with. We all value this right. Recently, WVUM apologized for timing their show Counterpoint during National Coming Out Day after picking a subject that dealt with gay rights.

As a member of SpectrUM, I was extremely offended by the show, as many of my peers were. While we complained to WVUM, we in no way, shape or form criticized their freedom of expression. As SpectrUM, we obviously value and cherish our freedoms of expression.

The problem was not the timing; it was the unbalanced manner in which the show was presented. The show is called Counterpoint, not Onepoint. If you have an extremely conservative host, it only stands to reason that you would have a liberal co-host to present the counterpoint. This, however, is not the case.

We strongly encourage intelligent debates on all issues, including GLBT rights. But when bad journalism and unbalanced debate happens, I think we have a right to issue a complaint.

To WVUM, thanks, but not for the apology. We respect you as a great resource to UM, but for me, the half-hearted apology was not enough. You obviously do not care about balanced programming and because of this, you have lost a listener.

Max Kelerstein

SpectrUM Senator

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...