LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Freedom of speech and expression is something that we should all pride ourselves with. We all value this right. Recently, WVUM apologized for timing their show Counterpoint during National Coming Out Day after picking a subject that dealt with gay rights.

As a member of SpectrUM, I was extremely offended by the show, as many of my peers were. While we complained to WVUM, we in no way, shape or form criticized their freedom of expression. As SpectrUM, we obviously value and cherish our freedoms of expression.

The problem was not the timing; it was the unbalanced manner in which the show was presented. The show is called Counterpoint, not Onepoint. If you have an extremely conservative host, it only stands to reason that you would have a liberal co-host to present the counterpoint. This, however, is not the case.

We strongly encourage intelligent debates on all issues, including GLBT rights. But when bad journalism and unbalanced debate happens, I think we have a right to issue a complaint.

To WVUM, thanks, but not for the apology. We respect you as a great resource to UM, but for me, the half-hearted apology was not enough. You obviously do not care about balanced programming and because of this, you have lost a listener.

Max Kelerstein

SpectrUM Senator

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...