LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Freedom of speech and expression is something that we should all pride ourselves with. We all value this right. Recently, WVUM apologized for timing their show Counterpoint during National Coming Out Day after picking a subject that dealt with gay rights.

As a member of SpectrUM, I was extremely offended by the show, as many of my peers were. While we complained to WVUM, we in no way, shape or form criticized their freedom of expression. As SpectrUM, we obviously value and cherish our freedoms of expression.

The problem was not the timing; it was the unbalanced manner in which the show was presented. The show is called Counterpoint, not Onepoint. If you have an extremely conservative host, it only stands to reason that you would have a liberal co-host to present the counterpoint. This, however, is not the case.

We strongly encourage intelligent debates on all issues, including GLBT rights. But when bad journalism and unbalanced debate happens, I think we have a right to issue a complaint.

To WVUM, thanks, but not for the apology. We respect you as a great resource to UM, but for me, the half-hearted apology was not enough. You obviously do not care about balanced programming and because of this, you have lost a listener.

Max Kelerstein

SpectrUM Senator

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...