Indie film Green Street Hooligans fails to tell its own, original story

Almost all movies that concern themselves more with emulating other films than they do with telling their own stories end up failing. Such is the case for Green Street Hooligans, not a particularly good or bad film on its own but one that only gets worse when its influences are considered.

The film begins with Elijah Wood’s character being expelled from Harvard after his roommate hides drugs in his closet. He travels to London to see his sister, where he meets her fairly refined husband and his younger, edgier brother. Wood’s character heads off with the brother to see a soccer game, and in the process learns about the “firms” that support soccer teams in England.

The firms are basically gangs who square off for fights outside every game. They root for their team but seem less like diehard fans of soccer than as fans of fighting. Wood starts as a clueless American and ends up being completely wrapped up in the violence, loving the thrill and the danger of it.

Wood’s transformation from normal guy to brutally violent savage is obviously reminiscent of Fight Club, but Green Street Hooligans lacks the powerful, daring direction of David Fincher, not to mention the acting and dialogue that made Fight Club such a hit.

The grittiness of London subculture and the mafia-type scenes both owe heavily to Danny Boyle and Guy Ritchie, but once again, Green Street Hooligans can’t match up with any of their work. Instead of borrowing from the tone of films like Snatch or Trainspotting, first -time director Lexi Alexander just uses their camerawork and general surface emotions.

The reason a film like Trainspotting is great and Green Street Hooligans is almost immediately forgettable isn’t because Alexander fails to direct the fight scenes in a grainy, shaky way. It’s because she lets the message of the film slip to the background and the violence to come to the forefront.

Wood’s transformation is an interesting one, especially when his sister and her husband get involved, but too little attention is paid to his character. The few times when the film does show a little more about him-a scene at a British grade school, a moment with his father-are the best parts of the movie. Unfortunately, when the film heads back to Harvard for its epilogue scene, it loses an opportunity to define Wood’s character even further and instead hides behind one of the biggest movie clich

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...