Hanging with “The Hit Stick”

The Hurricane: OK, Brandon, you know how I’m going to start off. What does the phrase “all about the U” mean to Brandon Meriweather?

Brandon Meriweather: [Laughs] That’s a good question. What it means to me is more of a pride thing, heart, pride, soul and family. Its a whole bunch of things together.

TH: If this defense keeps on playing the way it has been for the rest of the year, would you guys be satisfied or are there areas you must improve?

BM: I don’t think we would be satisfied. I think we are good now, but I don’t want to be good. I want to be great. If we become great, I will be satisfied.

TH: As of late, people are looking back to previous games and saying, “These guys kind of remind me of a defense I once saw in 2000 and 2001.” How close do you think you are to playing at that level?

BM: This team can play at any level now. In any situation, we have the players that can step up and make plays. So you can put us in any game; it can be Temple; it can be USC. No matter what team you put us against, in a pressure situation we’re going to make plays.

TH: Some people call you “The Hit Stick” for your ability to put a good lick on opposing players. Being called that, what do you think of red-shirt freshman Rashuan Jones’ hit against Temple?

BM: [Laughs] It was a nice hit. But if it were me, I think I would have hurt him.

TH: Would you say that you hit the hardest on the team, or would you give that honor to one of the bigger guys, like Spencer Adkins or Willie Williams?

BM: Right now, I would have to say Jon Beason is probably the hardest hitter on the team, backed up by me, Willie, Leon [Williams]; basically all our linebackers hit hard, as well as our secondary.

TH: Do you think you’re No. 2?

BM: [Laughs] I would say I’m in the top five.

TH: On a scale of one to 10, what would you give the team’s overall performance midway through the season?

BM: As of right now, probably a nine. We do well at times, but there are times when we get lazy and lackadaisical, and that keeps us from getting to a 10.

TH: In a few weeks, you guys are going to find yourselves in a very hostile environment in Blacksburg, Va. What would you rather do to turn off the crowd: get a pick or lay a good one on Marcus Vick?

BM: Lay a good one on Mr. Vick [laughs].

Richard Lavi

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...