Hanging with “The Hit Stick”

The Hurricane: OK, Brandon, you know how I’m going to start off. What does the phrase “all about the U” mean to Brandon Meriweather?

Brandon Meriweather: [Laughs] That’s a good question. What it means to me is more of a pride thing, heart, pride, soul and family. Its a whole bunch of things together.

TH: If this defense keeps on playing the way it has been for the rest of the year, would you guys be satisfied or are there areas you must improve?

BM: I don’t think we would be satisfied. I think we are good now, but I don’t want to be good. I want to be great. If we become great, I will be satisfied.

TH: As of late, people are looking back to previous games and saying, “These guys kind of remind me of a defense I once saw in 2000 and 2001.” How close do you think you are to playing at that level?

BM: This team can play at any level now. In any situation, we have the players that can step up and make plays. So you can put us in any game; it can be Temple; it can be USC. No matter what team you put us against, in a pressure situation we’re going to make plays.

TH: Some people call you “The Hit Stick” for your ability to put a good lick on opposing players. Being called that, what do you think of red-shirt freshman Rashuan Jones’ hit against Temple?

BM: [Laughs] It was a nice hit. But if it were me, I think I would have hurt him.

TH: Would you say that you hit the hardest on the team, or would you give that honor to one of the bigger guys, like Spencer Adkins or Willie Williams?

BM: Right now, I would have to say Jon Beason is probably the hardest hitter on the team, backed up by me, Willie, Leon [Williams]; basically all our linebackers hit hard, as well as our secondary.

TH: Do you think you’re No. 2?

BM: [Laughs] I would say I’m in the top five.

TH: On a scale of one to 10, what would you give the team’s overall performance midway through the season?

BM: As of right now, probably a nine. We do well at times, but there are times when we get lazy and lackadaisical, and that keeps us from getting to a 10.

TH: In a few weeks, you guys are going to find yourselves in a very hostile environment in Blacksburg, Va. What would you rather do to turn off the crowd: get a pick or lay a good one on Marcus Vick?

BM: Lay a good one on Mr. Vick [laughs].

Richard Lavi

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...