Hanging with “The Hit Stick”

The Hurricane: OK, Brandon, you know how I’m going to start off. What does the phrase “all about the U” mean to Brandon Meriweather?

Brandon Meriweather: [Laughs] That’s a good question. What it means to me is more of a pride thing, heart, pride, soul and family. Its a whole bunch of things together.

TH: If this defense keeps on playing the way it has been for the rest of the year, would you guys be satisfied or are there areas you must improve?

BM: I don’t think we would be satisfied. I think we are good now, but I don’t want to be good. I want to be great. If we become great, I will be satisfied.

TH: As of late, people are looking back to previous games and saying, “These guys kind of remind me of a defense I once saw in 2000 and 2001.” How close do you think you are to playing at that level?

BM: This team can play at any level now. In any situation, we have the players that can step up and make plays. So you can put us in any game; it can be Temple; it can be USC. No matter what team you put us against, in a pressure situation we’re going to make plays.

TH: Some people call you “The Hit Stick” for your ability to put a good lick on opposing players. Being called that, what do you think of red-shirt freshman Rashuan Jones’ hit against Temple?

BM: [Laughs] It was a nice hit. But if it were me, I think I would have hurt him.

TH: Would you say that you hit the hardest on the team, or would you give that honor to one of the bigger guys, like Spencer Adkins or Willie Williams?

BM: Right now, I would have to say Jon Beason is probably the hardest hitter on the team, backed up by me, Willie, Leon [Williams]; basically all our linebackers hit hard, as well as our secondary.

TH: Do you think you’re No. 2?

BM: [Laughs] I would say I’m in the top five.

TH: On a scale of one to 10, what would you give the team’s overall performance midway through the season?

BM: As of right now, probably a nine. We do well at times, but there are times when we get lazy and lackadaisical, and that keeps us from getting to a 10.

TH: In a few weeks, you guys are going to find yourselves in a very hostile environment in Blacksburg, Va. What would you rather do to turn off the crowd: get a pick or lay a good one on Marcus Vick?

BM: Lay a good one on Mr. Vick [laughs].

Richard Lavi

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...