Elsewhere – U. New Mexico bans the Facebook

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis.-The University of New Mexico both confused and disappointed many of its 26,000 students last week with the decision to ban access to Facebook.com on its campus network. UNM officials said the ban may be revoked if some of their concerns are addressed, specifically questions about the Web site’s level of security.

“People talk about it and stuff-I mean it’s pretty much banned,” UNM sophomore Ashley Hooper said. “We can’t look at it on campus, like in the libraries or anything.”

Facebook spokesperson Chris Hughes said his company wrote to university officials to discuss their concerns and once again make the Web site available on campus, although as of Sunday morning Hughes said the university had yet to respond.

Catherine Luther, spokesperson for the university’s Computer and Information Resources and Technology department, said the initial blockage came as a result of spam affecting its network offices.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...