Coach’s Corner

What would you have liked to see done differently in last week’s game?
I would like to have seen them be more efficient. There were times where we didn’t block people and weren’t efficient. It was disappointing because we get practice time, and I think because of that, we should have been more efficient.

Now that defensive line coach Greg Merk is gone, do you see your linemen being worried or upset from what transpired this week?
I don’t see that, but anytime you have change there’s a concern. I think that they know [defensive coordinator Randy Shannon]very well and he’s been working with them all year long. There’s definitely a comfort level that they will achieve.

What worries you the most about the Yellow Jackets?
They are an experienced team with 10 starters back on defense. They’ve got outstanding skill players with a great quarterback, two outstanding wide receivers, one of which [Calvin Johnson] may be the best wide receiver in the country. They also may have the best running back [P.J. Daniels] in the ACC. So they have tremendous talent, and if they can look real good in a win at Auburn in such a hostile environment, they can win anywhere and they certainly have our attention.

The last couple of weeks were used to work on improving things with the team. Where have you seen the most improvement?
I think for sure our defense continues to improve, as we’re playing with a lot of confidence. I think Kyle Wright continues to get better, and we’re getting to play a lot of guys which makes the morale of the team high. When you get to do that, morale seems to pick up around here.

Do you care that the NHL is back in action?
[Laughs] Well you know what, I’m not really a hockey fan, so it really hasn’t affected me. But I’m sure for a lot of people, it means a lot of jobs and opportunities to enjoy professional hockey.

Send questions for Coach Coker to e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...