UMNEWS – UM professor joins council to protect Florida’s coastline

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Tom Lee is one of 15 ocean and coastal experts appointed to a new Florida council that will be challenged with protecting Florida’s marine waterways and shorelines.

The state of Florida announced that the council appointees will develop priorities for ocean and coastal research and establish a statewide ocean research plan. According to the state’s news release, “the group will also coordinate public and private ocean research for more effective coastal management.”

Lee is a research professor of meteorology and physical oceanography at the Rosenstiel School and has spent a large portion of his career studying the Gulf Stream and its influence on Florida’s coastal waters.

Lee holds doctoral and master’s degrees in physical oceanography from Florida State University and a bachelor’s degree from the University of Florida. He has been associated with the University of Miami since 1970.

His research involves experimental/observational studies of ocean currents, ranging from local coastal currents to large-scale western boundary currents.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...