UMNEWS – UM professor joins council to protect Florida’s coastline

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Tom Lee is one of 15 ocean and coastal experts appointed to a new Florida council that will be challenged with protecting Florida’s marine waterways and shorelines.

The state of Florida announced that the council appointees will develop priorities for ocean and coastal research and establish a statewide ocean research plan. According to the state’s news release, “the group will also coordinate public and private ocean research for more effective coastal management.”

Lee is a research professor of meteorology and physical oceanography at the Rosenstiel School and has spent a large portion of his career studying the Gulf Stream and its influence on Florida’s coastal waters.

Lee holds doctoral and master’s degrees in physical oceanography from Florida State University and a bachelor’s degree from the University of Florida. He has been associated with the University of Miami since 1970.

His research involves experimental/observational studies of ocean currents, ranging from local coastal currents to large-scale western boundary currents.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...