Fall Break tease

Fall Break is over and some of us are left wondering whether it really ever began. We’ve reached the point in the semester when we all need a break from classes to regain some of our sanity, catch up on rest, see friends we haven’t talked to in ages because of the piles of homework amassing on our desks and just generally take a breather.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem as if the school thinks we need that break. Thanksgiving is about a month and a half away-we should be able to wait until then without having a nervous breakdown. Right?

As most of us know, that’s not the case. Thanksgiving brings with it a whole new set of issues to stress us out: finals are just around the corner, and we’ve got to deal with strange relatives that have a tendency to argue when they get together. Fall Break is supposed to be a college student’s chance to relax without these things hanging over our heads. Instead, our Break has been placed on a Friday by the powers that be, eliminating any semblance of an actual break for the majority of students who don’t have Friday classes. To most of us it’s just business as usual.

The University is always boasting about our large population of international and out-of-state students, yet it doesn’t take into consideration that three days isn’t enough time for many people to get home, and even if it is, the cost is often prohibitive. The Butler Volunteer Services Center wants to send students to aid in hurricane relief efforts and on other Alternative Fall Breaks, but its plans are limited to either leaving on Thursday, when students are supposed to be in class, or at the crack of dawn on Friday to some place nearby. Then, of course, are the students who just choose to take a longer weekend anyway (especially with Yom Kippur falling on the Thursday before the Break), and the professors who think that a measly day off means that we’ll have plenty of time to do some extra homework.

It’s not that we want a week off of classes like Notre Dame and Princeton enjoy-we are here to learn, after all-but one day just isn’t enough to serve the purported purpose of Fall Break. An extra day added to the Break next year, preferably on a Thursday so as not to miss two Monday-Wednesday-Friday classes in a row by having Monday off, would be enough to make the break a time of relaxation, rather than a tease that only further frustrates us.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...