Fall Break tease

Fall Break is over and some of us are left wondering whether it really ever began. We’ve reached the point in the semester when we all need a break from classes to regain some of our sanity, catch up on rest, see friends we haven’t talked to in ages because of the piles of homework amassing on our desks and just generally take a breather.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem as if the school thinks we need that break. Thanksgiving is about a month and a half away-we should be able to wait until then without having a nervous breakdown. Right?

As most of us know, that’s not the case. Thanksgiving brings with it a whole new set of issues to stress us out: finals are just around the corner, and we’ve got to deal with strange relatives that have a tendency to argue when they get together. Fall Break is supposed to be a college student’s chance to relax without these things hanging over our heads. Instead, our Break has been placed on a Friday by the powers that be, eliminating any semblance of an actual break for the majority of students who don’t have Friday classes. To most of us it’s just business as usual.

The University is always boasting about our large population of international and out-of-state students, yet it doesn’t take into consideration that three days isn’t enough time for many people to get home, and even if it is, the cost is often prohibitive. The Butler Volunteer Services Center wants to send students to aid in hurricane relief efforts and on other Alternative Fall Breaks, but its plans are limited to either leaving on Thursday, when students are supposed to be in class, or at the crack of dawn on Friday to some place nearby. Then, of course, are the students who just choose to take a longer weekend anyway (especially with Yom Kippur falling on the Thursday before the Break), and the professors who think that a measly day off means that we’ll have plenty of time to do some extra homework.

It’s not that we want a week off of classes like Notre Dame and Princeton enjoy-we are here to learn, after all-but one day just isn’t enough to serve the purported purpose of Fall Break. An extra day added to the Break next year, preferably on a Thursday so as not to miss two Monday-Wednesday-Friday classes in a row by having Monday off, would be enough to make the break a time of relaxation, rather than a tease that only further frustrates us.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...