Elsewhere – USC study indicates liars’ brains made up differently

(U-WIRE)-Ever wonder why some people are just so much better at lying? A new University of Southern California study suggests that the brains of some people are simply more wired for deception.

In the first study of its kind, researchers have found that there are structural abnormalities in the brains of people who habitually lie, cheat and manipulate others.

Pathological liars have more white matter and less gray matter in the prefrontal cortex of their brains. White matter speeds neural connectivity between brain cells, enabling quick and complex thinking, while gray matter-the brain cells that are connected by white matter-plays a role in mediating inhibitions.

The results showed that liars had a 22 percent increase in prefrontal white matter and a 14.2 percent decrease in gray matter compared to the control group. What these findings essentially suggest is that liars have a better-adapted brain for, well, lying.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...