Briefs – SWIMMING AND DIVING * CROSS-COUNTRY

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The University of Miami swimming and diving team fell to in-state rival Florida Atlantic, 160-129, in its season opener Saturday afternoon at the FAU pool.

The Hurricanes (0-1) took first and second in both the one and three meter diving events. Sophomore Jenna Dreyer placed first on the one-meter with a score 309.43 while senior Melanie Rinaldi finished in second with a score of 272.86. Dreyer once again finished on top in the three meter with a score of 244.95. Junior Heather Bounds took second with a score of 229.58.

Junior Ashley Knapp and freshman Christine Zwiegers were the only other Hurricanes to record first place finishes.

The Hurricanes return to action next Saturday with an 11:00 a.m. dual-meet against cross-town rival Florida International.

CROSS-COUNTRY

Senior Melanie Schultz completed the six kilometer course in a career-best time of 21:29.4 to finish 25th at the Chile Pepper Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark. Schultz has been the Hurricanes’ top finisher in the last 15 races she has competed in over the last three seasons.

Miami recorded 639 points to finish 24th out of 38 teams. Oklahoma State (64 points) won the team title.

The Chile Pepper Invitational is the final tune-up for the Hurricanes before the ACC Cross Country Championships, Oct. 31, in Tallahassee, Fla.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...