Living wages campaign faces new obstacles

Since the speakout on the Rock that kicked off the campaign for better wages and working conditions for UNICCO workers on Sept. 14, Students Towards a New Democry (STAND) and the Service Employees International Union (SEIU) have seen increased support from students and workers alike, as seen during a second speakout at the Episcopal Center on Thursday.

However the event, which students, press and approximately 25 workers attended, is only one of the many steps necessary for workers to achieve their goal.

Eric Brakken, the lead organizer from SEIU heading the campaign on campus, said workers have been approaching the union since the campaign started.

“We had contact with… a great majority of the almost 400 workers at the University for UNICCO, and we have widespread support,” he said.

Following the speakout, students dispersed throughout campus to hand out flyers, while Brakken led a group of workers to petition President Donna E. Shalala to take action and to hand in written testimonies. Despite being told she was unavailable, they left the testimonies in her office to read later.

Brakken described it as an important first step.

“The most important thing is that we gave our testimonies,” he said.

The testimonies given at the speakout, as well as the written testimonies presented to Shalala, include stories from Ana Gomez, a UNICCO worker at Jackson Memorial, who said she was assigned to a room with radioactive material without any protective gear.

Gomez also said that since she went public with her support of the Union, “they have changed my schedule and my duties.”

Martiza Paz, who has worked for UNICCO for 10 years, said she’s only received a 32 cent raise in that time.

“We are human beings. We need health insurance,” Paz said. “We need to be treated like human beings. We need benefits and especially respect.”

The University told The Miami Herald last week that it has decided to remain neutral on the matter, stating that the issue is between UNICCO and SEIU.

While there hasn’t been an official UNICCO response, Brakken and Patrick Walsh, chair of STAND, both think the company has been taking action, in one way or another.

Walsh told of stories of closed-door meetings where supervisors “sit [the workers]in a room and bring in people to talk about how evil unions are…at these meetings, they try to stress the workers out.”

The UNICCO offices at UM have not returned calls for comment.

Brakken said that workers seem emboldened by the speakouts.

“As the fear level gets lower, more of these stories are coming out,” he said. “We’re going to keep going. The workers are strong and they’re united and they’re not going to rest until they get some justice.”

In the meantime, student support for the campaign continues to grow.

“We’ve collected 500 signatures in three days,” Jacob Coker-Dukowitz of STAND said. “This is something very few people will oppose.”

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...