Elsewhere – Google Earth now has world on edge

The Post (Ohio U.)

(U-WIRE) ATHENS, Ohio-A new computer program that allows users to view world images through a satellite has several nations worried about possible security risks, but there’s not much they can do to stop it.

Google Earth, available for download at earth.google.com, provides accurate and detailed images of the entire world. The resolution is not uniform across all the areas of the world, but the program provides close-ups of many major metropolitan centers. Users can even zoom in close enough to count the cars in various parking lots.

Several nations, including the United States, are worried that the program endangers their national security and opens them up to terrorist attacks.

Though Google Earth does not allow users to view sensitive U.S. locations, such as the White House, it does not censor other nation’s state buildings or military bases, and it includes images of nuclear reactors.

Worried nations could try to block access to Google Earth within their borders or attempt to get the U.N. to pass a resolution governing the program. However, those measures probably would not prove very effective, said John Gilliom, a political science professor at Ohio University.

Most likely, the only thing that would effectively censor this material would be to ask Google Earth to voluntarily comply, Molineau said.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...