Elsewhere – Google Earth now has world on edge

The Post (Ohio U.)

(U-WIRE) ATHENS, Ohio-A new computer program that allows users to view world images through a satellite has several nations worried about possible security risks, but there’s not much they can do to stop it.

Google Earth, available for download at earth.google.com, provides accurate and detailed images of the entire world. The resolution is not uniform across all the areas of the world, but the program provides close-ups of many major metropolitan centers. Users can even zoom in close enough to count the cars in various parking lots.

Several nations, including the United States, are worried that the program endangers their national security and opens them up to terrorist attacks.

Though Google Earth does not allow users to view sensitive U.S. locations, such as the White House, it does not censor other nation’s state buildings or military bases, and it includes images of nuclear reactors.

Worried nations could try to block access to Google Earth within their borders or attempt to get the U.N. to pass a resolution governing the program. However, those measures probably would not prove very effective, said John Gilliom, a political science professor at Ohio University.

Most likely, the only thing that would effectively censor this material would be to ask Google Earth to voluntarily comply, Molineau said.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...