Coming out for sexual diversity

Students at UM will join people all over the country today in their celebration of National Coming Out Day, an event aimed at empowering gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) individuals. Sponsored by SpectrUM, the student organization on campus that celebrates diversity in sexual orientation and gender identity, the day is part of Coming Out Week, which began yesterday and will last until Thursday.

“The goal is to raise awareness about gay issues and provide campus-wide support to the national event,” Raymond Matthews, Coming Out Week coordinator, said.

Matthews added that many people don’t realize that there is a transgender community on campus. Therefore, the event also serves as a learning tool.

“We’re willing to work to further students’ understanding of others who may be different,” he said. “We want participants to learn something about GLBT and not just stereotype.”

One of the major misconceptions of Coming Out Week is that only those who are revealing their sexual orientation or gender identity are participating. Matthews emphasizes it’s also about coming out and supporting GLBT individuals, whether you’re gay, straight or not sure.

Chris Fisher, junior and columnist for The Hurricane, ties the significance of the event to the role UM plays in the community.

“UM is a very diverse campus and Coming Out Week is part of that diversity,” he said. “It is much easier for the community to respect GLBT when many are involved.”

For many, including Fisher, who is participating in his third Coming Out Week, the most important event is tomorrow night’s anti-hate candlelight vigil at the Rock. The vigil will honor the victims of hate crimes-crimes committed because of the victims’ religious affiliation, race, gender or sexual orientation.

“Whether or not you respect gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender individuals, we can all agree that hate sucks,” Fisher said. “Whether it comes in racism or homophobia, it is not a ‘Canes value.”

Also on the list of events is Queer Jeopardy, an entertaining and informative game-show about queer issues and Thursday night’s Coming Out Party to end the celebration. Joining in the festivities will be Ruby Sue the cow, the official mascot of the week-long event.

The first National Coming Out Day was held on Oct. 11, 1987, when half a million people marched in Washington D.C. for GLBT equality.

While society has become more accepting of GLBT individuals over the years, these events serve perhaps an even greater purpose, according to Matthews.

“In years past it has been an outlet to express sexual identity,” he said. “Today, while it serves as an opportunity to celebrate who you are, it also shows how we can work together for a greater good.”

“We still have the NAACP although we don’t have segregation anymore,” Matt Mckee, freshman, said. “Groups like this and events like this support minority populations and I personally believe it will always help others.”

Paul Fajardo can be contacted at p.fajardo@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...