Coming out for sexual diversity

Students at UM will join people all over the country today in their celebration of National Coming Out Day, an event aimed at empowering gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) individuals. Sponsored by SpectrUM, the student organization on campus that celebrates diversity in sexual orientation and gender identity, the day is part of Coming Out Week, which began yesterday and will last until Thursday.

“The goal is to raise awareness about gay issues and provide campus-wide support to the national event,” Raymond Matthews, Coming Out Week coordinator, said.

Matthews added that many people don’t realize that there is a transgender community on campus. Therefore, the event also serves as a learning tool.

“We’re willing to work to further students’ understanding of others who may be different,” he said. “We want participants to learn something about GLBT and not just stereotype.”

One of the major misconceptions of Coming Out Week is that only those who are revealing their sexual orientation or gender identity are participating. Matthews emphasizes it’s also about coming out and supporting GLBT individuals, whether you’re gay, straight or not sure.

Chris Fisher, junior and columnist for The Hurricane, ties the significance of the event to the role UM plays in the community.

“UM is a very diverse campus and Coming Out Week is part of that diversity,” he said. “It is much easier for the community to respect GLBT when many are involved.”

For many, including Fisher, who is participating in his third Coming Out Week, the most important event is tomorrow night’s anti-hate candlelight vigil at the Rock. The vigil will honor the victims of hate crimes-crimes committed because of the victims’ religious affiliation, race, gender or sexual orientation.

“Whether or not you respect gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender individuals, we can all agree that hate sucks,” Fisher said. “Whether it comes in racism or homophobia, it is not a ‘Canes value.”

Also on the list of events is Queer Jeopardy, an entertaining and informative game-show about queer issues and Thursday night’s Coming Out Party to end the celebration. Joining in the festivities will be Ruby Sue the cow, the official mascot of the week-long event.

The first National Coming Out Day was held on Oct. 11, 1987, when half a million people marched in Washington D.C. for GLBT equality.

While society has become more accepting of GLBT individuals over the years, these events serve perhaps an even greater purpose, according to Matthews.

“In years past it has been an outlet to express sexual identity,” he said. “Today, while it serves as an opportunity to celebrate who you are, it also shows how we can work together for a greater good.”

“We still have the NAACP although we don’t have segregation anymore,” Matt Mckee, freshman, said. “Groups like this and events like this support minority populations and I personally believe it will always help others.”

Paul Fajardo can be contacted at p.fajardo@umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...