22 YEARS AGO AT UM

In 1983, the then 15th-ranked Hurricanes blew out the Duke Blue Devils 56-17 in Durham, N.C., in quarterback Bernie Kosar’s freshman year:

To the average TV viewer, the game may have seemed like a typical college romp, but for the Hurricanes it was history.

The Hurricanes set a new record for total offense with a 613-yard game. The previous record of 285 yards was set back in 1941 under Coach Jack Harding when the Hurricanes shut out Elon, 38-0, in their season opener.

Miami had its highest scoring game since the 1967 58-0 romping of Pittsburgh.

Saturday’s game was the first game ever to be played under lights, albeit temporary, at Wallace Wade Stadium. All of Duke’s games are played in the early afternoon; this was the first home game they’ve played as late as 4 p.m. ABC-TV, which asked Duke to move game time from 1:30, supplied the lights.

The 56-17 romping began early in the first quarter, when quarterback Bernie Kosar made the first touchdown on a two-yard yard sneak.

Minutes later, on Miami’s next offensive series, Kosar threw a 73-yard bomb to Ed Brown for the second touchdown of the game and Kosar’s longest pass completion of his young career.

-The Hurricane, Oct. 4, 1983

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...