22 YEARS AGO AT UM

In 1983, the then 15th-ranked Hurricanes blew out the Duke Blue Devils 56-17 in Durham, N.C., in quarterback Bernie Kosar’s freshman year:

To the average TV viewer, the game may have seemed like a typical college romp, but for the Hurricanes it was history.

The Hurricanes set a new record for total offense with a 613-yard game. The previous record of 285 yards was set back in 1941 under Coach Jack Harding when the Hurricanes shut out Elon, 38-0, in their season opener.

Miami had its highest scoring game since the 1967 58-0 romping of Pittsburgh.

Saturday’s game was the first game ever to be played under lights, albeit temporary, at Wallace Wade Stadium. All of Duke’s games are played in the early afternoon; this was the first home game they’ve played as late as 4 p.m. ABC-TV, which asked Duke to move game time from 1:30, supplied the lights.

The 56-17 romping began early in the first quarter, when quarterback Bernie Kosar made the first touchdown on a two-yard yard sneak.

Minutes later, on Miami’s next offensive series, Kosar threw a 73-yard bomb to Ed Brown for the second touchdown of the game and Kosar’s longest pass completion of his young career.

-The Hurricane, Oct. 4, 1983

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...