22 YEARS AGO AT UM

In 1983, the then 15th-ranked Hurricanes blew out the Duke Blue Devils 56-17 in Durham, N.C., in quarterback Bernie Kosar’s freshman year:

To the average TV viewer, the game may have seemed like a typical college romp, but for the Hurricanes it was history.

The Hurricanes set a new record for total offense with a 613-yard game. The previous record of 285 yards was set back in 1941 under Coach Jack Harding when the Hurricanes shut out Elon, 38-0, in their season opener.

Miami had its highest scoring game since the 1967 58-0 romping of Pittsburgh.

Saturday’s game was the first game ever to be played under lights, albeit temporary, at Wallace Wade Stadium. All of Duke’s games are played in the early afternoon; this was the first home game they’ve played as late as 4 p.m. ABC-TV, which asked Duke to move game time from 1:30, supplied the lights.

The 56-17 romping began early in the first quarter, when quarterback Bernie Kosar made the first touchdown on a two-yard yard sneak.

Minutes later, on Miami’s next offensive series, Kosar threw a 73-yard bomb to Ed Brown for the second touchdown of the game and Kosar’s longest pass completion of his young career.

-The Hurricane, Oct. 4, 1983

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...