Support your local music ………..

UM-based rock band van*gloria has made it into the final round of a contest to open for Hanson on its upcoming fall tour. The band, made up of singer/guitarist Nick Kruge, guitarist Matt Gajewski (who has also penned numerous reviews for EDGE), bassist Paul Bender and drummer/keyboardist Luke Moellman, has the chance to open for three Florida shows in Orlando, St. Petersburg and Pompano Beach. After making it to the final round for each tour date, it’s up to the general public to vote for the winner.

Why enter a contest to open for Hanson?

“Why not?” asks Kruge.

Both Hanson and van*gloria have a similar goal: spread awareness of independent music. After starting its own record label, Hanson has titled its campaign Are You Listening? Hanson, which is slowly gaining recognition for its new sound from the young pop boy group that it once was, is now playing songs that exude rock vibes.

Van*gloria is working with Atomisk Records, a label founded by UM students. It’s striving to support the growing music scene in Miami. As Moellman puts it, “There’s a lot of talent down here, and we really wish people would support local music.”

After Bender and Moellman played as band members for Kruge’s solo material, they decided to start writing original material together. The three were listening to Gajewski’s songs one night last year and immediately called him up to say, “We want you in our rock band!” Now, all four are living together off campus.

“We all come from different backgrounds musically but have a similar goal,” says Kruge.

Adds Moellman: “We’re not always sure what that goal is, but somehow things come together anyway.”

Van*gloria describes Its sound as “music for awkward people to dance to in their bedrooms.”

“Imagine Dr. Frankenstein building a man that only writes pop songs, but with just a few loose wires,” Kruge says. “Our songs are what happens when the monster malfunctions.”

For now, the boys are hoping to spread the word about their success and the local music scene. To vote for van*gloria, log onto Hanson.net and click on each of the Florida shows.

Stacey Schneider can be contacted at s.schneider@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...