Muslim center hits monetary roadblocks

The University has several places of worship that cater to students of many different faiths-Jewish students have Hillel, Catholic students have St. Augustine, Methodist students have Wesley. But Muslim students don’t have such a center, due to a lack of funding.

“This issue probably goes back 15 years-we’re talking a long, long time that there’s been a dialogue going on,” said Rev. Joe Lortie, director and chaplain of the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship and member of the University Chaplains Association. “The Islamic campus ministries have been trying to raise money for a number of years.”

According to Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, funding is the main obstacle towards building an Islamic Center.

“We’ve put the land aside, and we’ve engaged in a pre-design process,” she said. “It’s a project that would take a significant amount of money, and that money has not been raised.”

Whitely said the last figures she saw pointed towards $5 million to $7 million to build the center. The land set aside for the center is in the corner diagonal to the Pavia Garage, near Hillel and the Writing Center.

Muslim students generally feel a center would be very convenient and a big improvement, although they note it’s not as essential for worship as people might think.

“[Not having the center] has in no way deterred us from carrying out our religious obligations as Muslims on campus,” Sarah Uddin, president of the Islamic Society of UM, said. “Muslim students between classes find their own niche on campus, whether it be a study room in the library or an empty classroom in Memorial, to make their own sanctuary.”

However, she notes that this doesn’t mean that Muslim students are perfectly happy with having no center.

“Individuals or organizations willing to fund this project should be actively solicited from the on-campus and off-campus communities,” she said.

Currently, Muslim students use places such as the ballrooms in the University Center (UC) and the Student Services Building for worship.

“[The space] is simply too small to house the hundreds or thousands of Muslims on campus,” Amir Zaher, senior, said. “It is on the last floor of the [Student Services] building and many people don’t feel very safe after sunset.”

In addition to providing needed services, a new Muslim center would serve educational purposes.

“It will be a great leap forward in clearing many of the impeding misconceptions about Islam,” he said.

With such a large amount of funding necessary, many Muslim students feel the new center may be beyond their scope, Zaher said.

“We need large contributors,” he said. “It doesn’t have to be through donations, but through advertisements, fundraising events, [or]showing more interest in the project.”

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...