Elsewhere – Miers named for high court spot

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis.-President George W. Bush announced his nomination of Harriet Miers for Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court Monday.

Miers was nominated to fill the seat vacated by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, who resigned July 1 citing personal reasons for leaving the nation’s highest court.

Mangi said Miers has been a “female trailblazer” in the legal system. Miers was the first woman hired at Dallas’s Locke, Purnell, Rain & Harrell law firm, she was the first woman to be elected president of the State Bar of Texas and has represented major corporations such as Microsoft, Walt Disney Co. and SunGard Data Systems Inc.

Most recently, Miers served as counsel to the president since Bush appointed her in February of this year.

Those who oppose Miers’ nomination question her legal experience with the court system and say too little is known about her career and opinions on key issues.

Though many liberals take issue with the nomination, Franklin said the initial reaction from Republicans has also been contentious.

Democrats also emphasized the fact that Miers has never been a judge.

University of Wisconsin Professor of Political Science Charles Franklin said it is not unusual for a nominee to not have experience behind the judicial bench, citing the late Chief Justice William Rehnquist as the most recent example.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...