Elsewhere – Miers named for high court spot

(U-WIRE) MADISON, Wis.-President George W. Bush announced his nomination of Harriet Miers for Associate Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court Monday.

Miers was nominated to fill the seat vacated by Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, who resigned July 1 citing personal reasons for leaving the nation’s highest court.

Mangi said Miers has been a “female trailblazer” in the legal system. Miers was the first woman hired at Dallas’s Locke, Purnell, Rain & Harrell law firm, she was the first woman to be elected president of the State Bar of Texas and has represented major corporations such as Microsoft, Walt Disney Co. and SunGard Data Systems Inc.

Most recently, Miers served as counsel to the president since Bush appointed her in February of this year.

Those who oppose Miers’ nomination question her legal experience with the court system and say too little is known about her career and opinions on key issues.

Though many liberals take issue with the nomination, Franklin said the initial reaction from Republicans has also been contentious.

Democrats also emphasized the fact that Miers has never been a judge.

University of Wisconsin Professor of Political Science Charles Franklin said it is not unusual for a nominee to not have experience behind the judicial bench, citing the late Chief Justice William Rehnquist as the most recent example.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...