Coach’s Corner

Lovon Ponder has come out of nowhere to become one of the better defensive backs on the team. Do you see him staying there all year?

No doubt about it. He’s going to play a lot this year. If guys get an opportunity and perform well, then it tells you something. We need to stay with a guy like that.

With midterms around the corner, how does the coaching staff help ease the worry that some players may have?

I think the main thing is that we work practice around their schedules and we never take them out of exams or study sessions to be involved in football practice. When they have those things, that’s what comes first. And I’m sincere when I say that. That’s not just coach’s talk.

Did Saturday’s performance make you frustrated?

Yeah, a little bit because I really felt like we could have put the game away. In some ways we did put the game away in the first quarter. But I really felt like we should have and could have done more. The game wasn’t in jeopardy, but I knew we weren’t doing things we were capable of doing.

Who is your pick to win the World Series?

Wow. That’s a tough call right there. How about the Cardinals?

Send any questions for Coach Coker to e.kalis@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...