Coach’s Corner

Lovon Ponder has come out of nowhere to become one of the better defensive backs on the team. Do you see him staying there all year?

No doubt about it. He’s going to play a lot this year. If guys get an opportunity and perform well, then it tells you something. We need to stay with a guy like that.

With midterms around the corner, how does the coaching staff help ease the worry that some players may have?

I think the main thing is that we work practice around their schedules and we never take them out of exams or study sessions to be involved in football practice. When they have those things, that’s what comes first. And I’m sincere when I say that. That’s not just coach’s talk.

Did Saturday’s performance make you frustrated?

Yeah, a little bit because I really felt like we could have put the game away. In some ways we did put the game away in the first quarter. But I really felt like we should have and could have done more. The game wasn’t in jeopardy, but I knew we weren’t doing things we were capable of doing.

Who is your pick to win the World Series?

Wow. That’s a tough call right there. How about the Cardinals?

Send any questions for Coach Coker to e.kalis@umiami.edu.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...