Coach’s Corner

Lovon Ponder has come out of nowhere to become one of the better defensive backs on the team. Do you see him staying there all year?

No doubt about it. He’s going to play a lot this year. If guys get an opportunity and perform well, then it tells you something. We need to stay with a guy like that.

With midterms around the corner, how does the coaching staff help ease the worry that some players may have?

I think the main thing is that we work practice around their schedules and we never take them out of exams or study sessions to be involved in football practice. When they have those things, that’s what comes first. And I’m sincere when I say that. That’s not just coach’s talk.

Did Saturday’s performance make you frustrated?

Yeah, a little bit because I really felt like we could have put the game away. In some ways we did put the game away in the first quarter. But I really felt like we should have and could have done more. The game wasn’t in jeopardy, but I knew we weren’t doing things we were capable of doing.

Who is your pick to win the World Series?

Wow. That’s a tough call right there. How about the Cardinals?

Send any questions for Coach Coker to e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...