Hurricanes push classes into reading days

In a memo sent out to all professors and faculty, Steven G. Ullmann, vice provost and dean of the graduate school, announced Friday that one of the reading days scheduled in December will be used to make up classes missed during hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The decision was made after academic deans, faculty senate and the vice president for student affairs met to discuss all available options.

So far, three and a half days of classes have been cancelled as a result of South Florida’s busy hurricane season, affecting mostly classes in the Monday, Wednesday and Friday schedule. Classes that missed a Tuesday and Friday will be absorbed into the normal teaching schedule, Ullmann noted, and the two lost Mondays will be made up on Monday, Dec. 5. Reading days are from Dec. 3 to Dec. 6.

The University Policy stating that exams cannot be given during reading days will also be extended to include the make-up day, so students need only worry about going to class. Final exams will proceed as normally scheduled.

“We hope that this will be the last of our hurricane related closings,” Ulmann said in the memo. “We will hold the remaining reading days in reserve, however, just in case.”

Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at n.maldonado@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...