Hurricanes push classes into reading days

In a memo sent out to all professors and faculty, Steven G. Ullmann, vice provost and dean of the graduate school, announced Friday that one of the reading days scheduled in December will be used to make up classes missed during hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The decision was made after academic deans, faculty senate and the vice president for student affairs met to discuss all available options.

So far, three and a half days of classes have been cancelled as a result of South Florida’s busy hurricane season, affecting mostly classes in the Monday, Wednesday and Friday schedule. Classes that missed a Tuesday and Friday will be absorbed into the normal teaching schedule, Ullmann noted, and the two lost Mondays will be made up on Monday, Dec. 5. Reading days are from Dec. 3 to Dec. 6.

The University Policy stating that exams cannot be given during reading days will also be extended to include the make-up day, so students need only worry about going to class. Final exams will proceed as normally scheduled.

“We hope that this will be the last of our hurricane related closings,” Ulmann said in the memo. “We will hold the remaining reading days in reserve, however, just in case.”

Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at n.maldonado@umiami.edu.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...