Gandhi Day promotes activism

More than 400 students set out bright and early for various parts of Miami to volunteer their time and efforts and celebrate National Gandhi Day of Service on Saturday. The event, planned by the Council of International Students and Organizations and LINK, celebrated its largest volunteer turnout in its three-year history at UM.

“We attained flagship status, which means that we had an enormous amount of participants,” Nikki Aggarwal, logistics chair, said. “Next year we can invite the Miami community and get them to participate with us as well, which would make it even bigger.”

Among attendees was Coral Gables Mayor Don Slesnick, who addressed the students at the opening ceremonies shortly before 9 a.m.

“We are a force today in Miami,” he said, thanking students for participating and noting that they would touch the lives of many people in the spirit of Mahatma Gandhi.

“The question today is not who is Gandhi,” Slesnick said, “but what is Gandhi.”

Students were bused from campus to 22 sites in Miami, including Overtown, north of downtown Miami, Kendall Lanes Bowling Alley, Camillus House, Community Rehab Center and the Ronald McDonald house.

“A lot of our sites had a lot of creativity,” Amy Sun, co-chair of Gandhi Day, said. “We tried to pick out sites that touched upon a variety of issues in Miami.”

One group of students trimmed bushes, righted trees downed from the hurricanes and placed topsoil in order to maintain Overtown’s volunteer-maintained garden. The garden, on the embankment of I-395, now has colorful rose bushes growing along with many other plants.

“I made a difference by helping restore a garden to make the community look better,” Christian Cobb, freshman, said.

Sophomore Magda Abdel Fattah said she signed up for the National Day of Service because it was an unusual chance to make a difference.

“I find that the school has fewer big volunteer opportunities,” she said. “If you play a part in the big events, that’s when you’re doing something important.”

In another part of Overtown, students worked on the roof of a house for Habitat for Humanity.

“It was a great environment working together with others for one common goal,” Graham Osberg, junior, said. “I think we were helped more than [those in need]were.”

Students at Kendall Lanes spent the day showing off their bowling skills along with some of Miami’s special needs citizens.

“We let them know there are people who care, that the community is there for them,” Roseland Marcellon, sophomore, said.

Among the lessons learned during the day was the ideal of non-violence taught by Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Jr. and Mother Teresa, which was passed on to students at Madison Middle school by volunteers at the site.

“It was a non-violent and international sort of lesson that we were trying to teach them,” Sun said. “We wanted our participants to have meaningful service, reaching out to a lot of pockets in Miami.”

Sam West can be contacted at s.west2@umiami.edu.

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...