Elsewhere – Tulane to reopen in January

Columbia Daily Spectator (Columbia U.)

(U-WIRE) NEW YORK-Exactly one month after officials evacuated the campus, Tulane University officials announced Wednesday that they plan to reopen the school for the spring semester on Jan. 17 as originally scheduled.

The announcement comes as good news for students displaced in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Though other universities have offered students from Tulane and Loyola visiting student status, in most cases they were only admitted for the duration of the fall semester.

In an announcement posted to Tulane’s emergency Web site from a temporary headquarters in Houston, University President Scott Cowen announced that the university would have a normal 15-week semester running through early May, with commencement on May 15th. The university has scheduled a supplemental “Lagniappe” semester-referring to the word for “a small gift”-for next summer, that will last seven weeks. Students will be allowed to take up to three classes during the bonus term, which Tulane is offering free-of-charge to students who have paid full-time fall and spring tuition.

Tulane’s campus, which rests on higher ground than many other parts of New Orleans, received less damage than many had initially feared.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...