Elsewhere – Tulane to reopen in January

Columbia Daily Spectator (Columbia U.)

(U-WIRE) NEW YORK-Exactly one month after officials evacuated the campus, Tulane University officials announced Wednesday that they plan to reopen the school for the spring semester on Jan. 17 as originally scheduled.

The announcement comes as good news for students displaced in the wake of Hurricane Katrina. Though other universities have offered students from Tulane and Loyola visiting student status, in most cases they were only admitted for the duration of the fall semester.

In an announcement posted to Tulane’s emergency Web site from a temporary headquarters in Houston, University President Scott Cowen announced that the university would have a normal 15-week semester running through early May, with commencement on May 15th. The university has scheduled a supplemental “Lagniappe” semester-referring to the word for “a small gift”-for next summer, that will last seven weeks. Students will be allowed to take up to three classes during the bonus term, which Tulane is offering free-of-charge to students who have paid full-time fall and spring tuition.

Tulane’s campus, which rests on higher ground than many other parts of New Orleans, received less damage than many had initially feared.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...