Death Cab has excellent Plans

With new label intact, indie rock sensation Death Cab for Cutie has moved up in the world, so to speak. Ignoring the big no-no that is signing to a major label after several years of success on an indie one, Death Cab has made the leap that most indie groups dream of and dread at the same time. Nevertheless, while die-hard fans assert that the band had sold its butcher’s knife for vegetable cutters, the music remains as sharp as ever.

Plans is filled with melancholy, earthy tunes reminiscent of singer/songwriter Ben Gibbard’s other musical group, The Postal Service. Unlike Give Up, though, every song on Plans stands on its own. The album, in comparison with recent album releases, is also very organized. You can feel the connection of each song as it progresses as well as the consistency of mood that is carried from chorus to chorus.

Despite its tone, the album is fairly hopeful compared to Death Cab’s earlier efforts. It almost feels like pessimism has become a requirement for indie bands, so the change is more than welcome. Gibbard’s lyrics are stronger than ever here. The actual music almost seems secondary sometimes when compared to the accomplished power of Gibbard’s words. When Gibbard sings, “But I didn’t care where I was going. They’re all different names for the same thing,” you can feel the weight of the world crush down on you, but at least there’s someone to identify with. Certain emotions just seem impossible to convey on paper, but Gibbard always seems to find a way.

This album might as well be Gibbard’s heart served on a silver platter. Filled with poetry and compassion, it sets a new standard for indie rock- and maybe it will finally conquer the assumption that major labels destroy bands.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Demetrius Jackson has come through again for his Overtown neighborhood. For the second year in a row ...

Days after praising Mark Richt, Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant has canceled his Frid ...

Mark Richt kept his word. On Thursday, two days before the Miami Hurricanes defeated Virginia Tech 3 ...

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...