Death Cab has excellent Plans

With new label intact, indie rock sensation Death Cab for Cutie has moved up in the world, so to speak. Ignoring the big no-no that is signing to a major label after several years of success on an indie one, Death Cab has made the leap that most indie groups dream of and dread at the same time. Nevertheless, while die-hard fans assert that the band had sold its butcher’s knife for vegetable cutters, the music remains as sharp as ever.

Plans is filled with melancholy, earthy tunes reminiscent of singer/songwriter Ben Gibbard’s other musical group, The Postal Service. Unlike Give Up, though, every song on Plans stands on its own. The album, in comparison with recent album releases, is also very organized. You can feel the connection of each song as it progresses as well as the consistency of mood that is carried from chorus to chorus.

Despite its tone, the album is fairly hopeful compared to Death Cab’s earlier efforts. It almost feels like pessimism has become a requirement for indie bands, so the change is more than welcome. Gibbard’s lyrics are stronger than ever here. The actual music almost seems secondary sometimes when compared to the accomplished power of Gibbard’s words. When Gibbard sings, “But I didn’t care where I was going. They’re all different names for the same thing,” you can feel the weight of the world crush down on you, but at least there’s someone to identify with. Certain emotions just seem impossible to convey on paper, but Gibbard always seems to find a way.

This album might as well be Gibbard’s heart served on a silver platter. Filled with poetry and compassion, it sets a new standard for indie rock- and maybe it will finally conquer the assumption that major labels destroy bands.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...