UMNEWS – Alumni reminisce campus newspaper days

Fifty years after graduating from the University of Miami, student publications alumni have published a commemorative issue of The Miami Hurricane.

The 16-page issue was completely written, edited and designed by alumni in a format reminiscent of the 1955 version. Although all editorial matter is new, photographs and editorial cartoons were first published 50 years ago.

All are veteran editors and photographers of All-America winning university publications: The Hurricane, the Ibis yearbook and the now historic Tempo magazine.

John Softness, who was 1955 Hurricane editor-in-chief, returned to that position for the current issue. He is a former public relations executive and most recently speechwriter for ex-Mayor Alex Penelas.

The edition was the brainstorm of Allan and Patti Herbert, active University philanthropists who own the Richmond Hotel in South Beach. He is a retired senior executive of Teledyne, Inc. They served as publisher and art director of this issue.

The edition is published to celebrate this year’s Homecoming, Oct. 27 to 30. It is being mailed to more than 10,000 alumni. Copies can be picked up at the Alumni office on the University campus.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...