UMNEWS – Alumni reminisce campus newspaper days

Fifty years after graduating from the University of Miami, student publications alumni have published a commemorative issue of The Miami Hurricane.

The 16-page issue was completely written, edited and designed by alumni in a format reminiscent of the 1955 version. Although all editorial matter is new, photographs and editorial cartoons were first published 50 years ago.

All are veteran editors and photographers of All-America winning university publications: The Hurricane, the Ibis yearbook and the now historic Tempo magazine.

John Softness, who was 1955 Hurricane editor-in-chief, returned to that position for the current issue. He is a former public relations executive and most recently speechwriter for ex-Mayor Alex Penelas.

The edition was the brainstorm of Allan and Patti Herbert, active University philanthropists who own the Richmond Hotel in South Beach. He is a retired senior executive of Teledyne, Inc. They served as publisher and art director of this issue.

The edition is published to celebrate this year’s Homecoming, Oct. 27 to 30. It is being mailed to more than 10,000 alumni. Copies can be picked up at the Alumni office on the University campus.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...