UMNEWS – Alumni reminisce campus newspaper days

Fifty years after graduating from the University of Miami, student publications alumni have published a commemorative issue of The Miami Hurricane.

The 16-page issue was completely written, edited and designed by alumni in a format reminiscent of the 1955 version. Although all editorial matter is new, photographs and editorial cartoons were first published 50 years ago.

All are veteran editors and photographers of All-America winning university publications: The Hurricane, the Ibis yearbook and the now historic Tempo magazine.

John Softness, who was 1955 Hurricane editor-in-chief, returned to that position for the current issue. He is a former public relations executive and most recently speechwriter for ex-Mayor Alex Penelas.

The edition was the brainstorm of Allan and Patti Herbert, active University philanthropists who own the Richmond Hotel in South Beach. He is a retired senior executive of Teledyne, Inc. They served as publisher and art director of this issue.

The edition is published to celebrate this year’s Homecoming, Oct. 27 to 30. It is being mailed to more than 10,000 alumni. Copies can be picked up at the Alumni office on the University campus.

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol