UMNEWS – Alumni reminisce campus newspaper days

Fifty years after graduating from the University of Miami, student publications alumni have published a commemorative issue of The Miami Hurricane.

The 16-page issue was completely written, edited and designed by alumni in a format reminiscent of the 1955 version. Although all editorial matter is new, photographs and editorial cartoons were first published 50 years ago.

All are veteran editors and photographers of All-America winning university publications: The Hurricane, the Ibis yearbook and the now historic Tempo magazine.

John Softness, who was 1955 Hurricane editor-in-chief, returned to that position for the current issue. He is a former public relations executive and most recently speechwriter for ex-Mayor Alex Penelas.

The edition was the brainstorm of Allan and Patti Herbert, active University philanthropists who own the Richmond Hotel in South Beach. He is a retired senior executive of Teledyne, Inc. They served as publisher and art director of this issue.

The edition is published to celebrate this year’s Homecoming, Oct. 27 to 30. It is being mailed to more than 10,000 alumni. Copies can be picked up at the Alumni office on the University campus.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...