Taking it down a notch

Two reasons exist for a college student should lower his or her headphone volume: being in the library and taking care of his or her ears.

According to The New York Times, a recent study showed that a quarter of iPod users aged 18 to 54 keep their headphone volume on a level that can damage their ears.

The iPods are only one type out of many digital music (MP3) players that are rapidly gaining in popularity. Now, on a typical college campus, as many as a third of the student population may own MP3 players.

“I listen to my Sony Minidisc in between classes,” Alexandra Sessler, junior, said. “Listening to it keeps me company.”

With the booming popularity of the portable MP3 players, small earbud headphones have become more ubiquitous and are preferred over bigger and less portable ones. However, these ear-fitting headphones have unhealthy characteristics.

Because of their small size, earbud headphones put more sound pressure on the ears.

Also, small headphones cannot effectively block out the surrounding noises, forcing the listener to turn the volume higher.

Under these circumstances, the eardrums are under heavy stress. Stress can induce microscopic damages to the eardrums in addition to the wear and tear from daily functions.

“Hearing loss is a gradual process,” Dr. Howard Anapol of the Student Health Center, said. “People who constantly listen to music too loud will later regret doing so.”

On average, students listen to their MP3 players for more than an hour per day. Students use their MP3 players for many activities, including jogging, walking to classes and while waiting for a bus.

“Regardless of how powerful headphones may be, listeners have to make the decision of whether the headphones are harming them,” Sessler said. “It is each individual’s responsibility.”

Senior Brian Triulzi said that between using his iPod while walking to class and listening to music at home, his headphone usage averages anywhere from five to six hours a day.

“I want to be a music producer, so I wouldn’t change my usage at all,” he said.

Not only can MP3 players stress the ears, cell phones that are too loud have damaging potentials as well. Watching a movie on a laptop with loud headphones on also can complicate hearing.

“My advice is that students think about how loud their music is,” Dr. Anapol said.

Whether or not students listen to that advice remains to be seen.

“With the amount of things that we’re exposed to, your hearing will be damaged anyways,” Triulzi said. “So you might as well do it with something that you’re enjoying.”

Bryce Pham can be contacted at b.pham1@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...