All-American Rejects rock out

The All-American Rejects had us worried there for a while. The public was sure that the band who brought us the ever-catchy “Swing, Swing” would be a one-hit wonder when other singles on their first album flopped, but the boys are back in town with part deux of their energetic pop-punk career. Move Along opens with jarring guitar chords and lead singer Tyson Ritter’s characteristic howl in their first single, “Dirty Little Secret” that, despite the song’s sordid message, manages to creep into the hearts of listeners.

For the majority of their album, the Rejects can do no wrong. Their lyrics contain the right mix of bitterness and fun to appeal to the pop-punk audience, and instrumentals tie the songs together into tidy, emotion-riddled packages. The pace quickens and slows in well-spaced intervals that make the album go down easy in one listen.

The band’s strength lies in their ability to balance piercing, poignant lyrics with upbeat background music that can make even the most heart-wrenching songs tolerable compared to traditional emo-the oft-depressing, slower cousin of the pop-punk genre. Screeching guitars and pounding drums such as in “I’m Waiting” lend Ritter’s voice the appropriate support to convey pain without overbearing angst. However, when songs lack the acrid tone that dominates the album, AAR truly shines, such as in “Dance Inside.”

AAR is at their best in the rocking tunes that become their singles, but as a young band, they have room to grow. In Move Along, they’ve demonstrated their capacity to do so, which may be the key to the stardom they missed upon their debut.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...