18 YEARS AGO AT UM

Student Government Awareness Week, which ends today, reached out to students to inform them about their elected representatives on campus. Making student government representatives more accessible was the goal in 1987, when the then Undergraduate Student Body Government switched its name:

Since USBG is the student’s link to the administration, Student Government is a “more apt description” of USBG’s purpose, according to Dean Furman, speaker of the senate. He also noted that many students confuse the acronyms USBG and UBS (United Black Students).

“Ask an average student what is USBG and he won’t know,” Furman said.

Erica Spinner, a junior in the School of Communication, didn’t know that the acronym USBG signified. She spelled the letters on her left fingers and mumbled, “U.S., United States, uh…”

David Helfand, a transfer student from New York, didn’t know what USBG stood for either.

“It is not clear enough just by the initials,” he said.

USBG is also proposing to revise its constitution and statutes.

“We want to simplify the constitution to make it more understandable to the average person,” said Furman, a public relations and politics and public affairs major.

The name change and revising of the constitution are part of USBG’s scheme to get students interested and involved with their government.

-The Hurricane, Sept. 8, 1987

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...