18 YEARS AGO AT UM

Student Government Awareness Week, which ends today, reached out to students to inform them about their elected representatives on campus. Making student government representatives more accessible was the goal in 1987, when the then Undergraduate Student Body Government switched its name:

Since USBG is the student’s link to the administration, Student Government is a “more apt description” of USBG’s purpose, according to Dean Furman, speaker of the senate. He also noted that many students confuse the acronyms USBG and UBS (United Black Students).

“Ask an average student what is USBG and he won’t know,” Furman said.

Erica Spinner, a junior in the School of Communication, didn’t know that the acronym USBG signified. She spelled the letters on her left fingers and mumbled, “U.S., United States, uh…”

David Helfand, a transfer student from New York, didn’t know what USBG stood for either.

“It is not clear enough just by the initials,” he said.

USBG is also proposing to revise its constitution and statutes.

“We want to simplify the constitution to make it more understandable to the average person,” said Furman, a public relations and politics and public affairs major.

The name change and revising of the constitution are part of USBG’s scheme to get students interested and involved with their government.

-The Hurricane, Sept. 8, 1987

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...