18 YEARS AGO AT UM

Student Government Awareness Week, which ends today, reached out to students to inform them about their elected representatives on campus. Making student government representatives more accessible was the goal in 1987, when the then Undergraduate Student Body Government switched its name:

Since USBG is the student’s link to the administration, Student Government is a “more apt description” of USBG’s purpose, according to Dean Furman, speaker of the senate. He also noted that many students confuse the acronyms USBG and UBS (United Black Students).

“Ask an average student what is USBG and he won’t know,” Furman said.

Erica Spinner, a junior in the School of Communication, didn’t know that the acronym USBG signified. She spelled the letters on her left fingers and mumbled, “U.S., United States, uh…”

David Helfand, a transfer student from New York, didn’t know what USBG stood for either.

“It is not clear enough just by the initials,” he said.

USBG is also proposing to revise its constitution and statutes.

“We want to simplify the constitution to make it more understandable to the average person,” said Furman, a public relations and politics and public affairs major.

The name change and revising of the constitution are part of USBG’s scheme to get students interested and involved with their government.

-The Hurricane, Sept. 8, 1987

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...