UMNEWS – UM law professor takes active role outside the campus community

The Children’s Trust has selected University of Miami School of Law professor Bernard Perlmutter as the first recipient of the newly established Champion for Children award.

Bernard Perlmutter is assistant professor of clinical legal education and director of the Children & Youth Law Clinic at the University of Miami. Before becoming director of the Clinic in 1995, Perlmutter was an attorney with Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc. and director of the Children’s Law Project in the Civil Law Clinic at Nova Southeastern University.

Perlmutter was chosen as the recipient of this award after a month-long nomination and selection process. He will be honored at a reception for 500 people to be held Tuesday, Oct. 11, at Parrot Jungle Island’s Treetop Ballroom.

The Children’s Trust established the Champion for Children award to raise awareness of the needs of children and inspire others to join in the work that is taking place on behalf of children and families in Miami-Dade county.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...