UMNEWS – UM law professor takes active role outside the campus community

The Children’s Trust has selected University of Miami School of Law professor Bernard Perlmutter as the first recipient of the newly established Champion for Children award.

Bernard Perlmutter is assistant professor of clinical legal education and director of the Children & Youth Law Clinic at the University of Miami. Before becoming director of the Clinic in 1995, Perlmutter was an attorney with Legal Services of Greater Miami, Inc. and director of the Children’s Law Project in the Civil Law Clinic at Nova Southeastern University.

Perlmutter was chosen as the recipient of this award after a month-long nomination and selection process. He will be honored at a reception for 500 people to be held Tuesday, Oct. 11, at Parrot Jungle Island’s Treetop Ballroom.

The Children’s Trust established the Champion for Children award to raise awareness of the needs of children and inspire others to join in the work that is taking place on behalf of children and families in Miami-Dade county.

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...