Soccer loses to N.C. State

Thursday night marked the opening of the ACC season for the Miami Hurricanes women’s soccer team against North Carolina State. The Hurricanes fell 1-0 in double overtime.

In the middle of the second half, heavy rain fell and made the field virtually unplayable. The ball was skidding all over the field and stopping before it got to its intended target. These conditions made it hard to control possession and set up the shots that Miami wanted.

“In all of my years as a coach,” said Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro, “this is probably the worst rain I have ever seen.We expected it would come and we chose to go with the wind in the first half.”

The only goal of the game came at the 105-minute mark and it all began with a corner kick. The ball was kicked inbounds by Lindsey Vera to Carol Tognetti, who fired a wayward shot. The ball was then deflected in traffic and came back to Tognetti, who was able to get her own rebound and shoot past UM goalkeeper Lauren McAdam, who was out of position from trying to make the initial save from the first shot.

“It’s unfortunate that we gave up the game-winner off a corner kick because I felt like we did an excellent job defending the corners and throw-ins all night,” Taliaferro said. “There were a lot of good individual efforts by our girls.”

Miami’s biggest difficulty was getting shots on goal. In regulation, only one shot actually made it on goal, which was saved by N.C. State goalkeeper Kim Selz in the 88th minute. In total, the Hurricanes could only muster three shots on goal by the end of the match.

“We created some chances,” Taliaferro said. “It just didn

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...