Fewer penalties, better blocking lead to win

CU Whistled 16 Times

The Buffaloes were called for 16 penalties for 104 yards in their 23-3 loss to the Hurricanes. Colorado entered the game with 16 penalties in its first two games but couldn’t stop committing fouls against the Hurricanes. At one point, CU gave Miami an automatic first down after two off-sides penalties in a row, with the Hurricanes gaining five yards each time.

On the flip side, the Hurricanes entered the game a week after being called for 14 penalties at Clemson. The ‘Canes finished with five penalties for 75 yards, but most of those came when the game had been decided. A major positive for the Hurricanes was that their offensive line didn’t commit a single holding penalty all game long, a far cry from the week before.

‘canes Can’t Punch It In

Miami entered the red zone six times on Saturday and was only able to score one touchdown. The Hurricanes also came away with three field goals, making them four for six from that territory. Miami’s lone touchdown from the red zone came when Kyle Wright took matters into his own hands and ran into the end zone from two yards out on a naked bootleg. With Jon Peattie missing two field goals and struggling so far this season, the Hurricanes would like to get into the end zone a lot more.

“I’m very concerned about the red zone offense,” said Head Coach Larry Coker. “We’re not going to be anywhere near where we want to be if we kick field goals in the red zone.”

A major reason for the struggles in the red zone was the inefficiency of the running game in those situations. Miami couldn’t get anything going on the ground, which made it much tougher for the Hurricanes to score with a shortened field.

O-Line Improves

After allowing 14 sacks in its first two games, the Miami offensive line didn’t allow any on Saturday. Although the Hurricanes had their worst running performance of the year, Kyle Wright was able to get the ball down the field because he had time. Wright finished 20-for-39 for 264 yards and a touchdown. Not only did the offensive line give him time, Wright made smart decisions when a play broke down. Wright didn’t hold the ball in situations where he may have in the first two ballgames.

“For myself, one of the points of emphasis this week was to really get rid of the ball, whether it’s getting outside of the pocket and throwing it away or finding my check-down,” Wright said. “That comes with more playing time.”

Sinorice looks like Santana

Sinorice Moss was one yard shy of a career day. Moss finished with five catches for 111 yards, including three spectacular leaping grabs. Not too bad for the 5-8 senior, whose brother Santana also had quite the week for the Washington Redskins. Sinorice Moss’ career high for yards is 112, which he collected against FSU last year.

Douglas C. Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...