Elsewhere – New Google digital library hits copyright roadblocks

The Stanford Daily (Stanford)

(U-WIRE) STANFORD, Calif.-Last December Google announced its plan to team up with leading universities and public libraries around the country, including Stanford, to provide instantly searchable copies of library books to all of its users. Along the way, however, this digital library ran into some legal roadblocks.

Publishers have argued that by scanning copyrighted material, Google is violating U.S. copyright law. Google, however, argues that their use of the copyrighted material falls under the “fair use” doctrine.

Colette Vogele, also a fellow at the center and head of the firm Vogele and Associates, explained that fair use is a murky area in copyright law.

According to Vogele, there is a four factor balancing test used to decide if something falls under the fair use clause. These criteria include how much of the work was used, the nature of the use, whether the use was for commercial or non-commercial purposes and whether the use will interfere with the potential market of the copyrighted material.

To adhere to these factors, Google will not make the entire text of copyrighted materials available to the public. When a user searches for a term in the text of such copyrighted books, Google will only show the specific passages in which the term is found, along with links to where the user can buy or borrow the book.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...