Women’s tennis has big shoes to fill without Bradley

Three University of Miami women’s tennis singles players and one doubles team were named to the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) preseason rankings, released earlier this month.

This is an encouraging sign for the Hurricanes, who hope to fill the colossal void left behind after the graduation of standout Megan Bradley, who lost only two matches last season.

Bradley, who received a B.A. in sports administration, finished the 2004-05 season with an overall record of 44-2 in singles and 34-4 in doubles matches. She was also named the NCAA Women’s Tennis Player of the Year and ACC Player of the Week four times last season.

With the departure of Bradley, the doubles duo of senior Melissa Applebaum and junior Audrey Banada, who are No. 12 in the nation to start the season, will have to intensify their level of play. The Miami tandem finished 2004 at No. 36 after posting a 4-2 mark during the spring.

Junior Emily Mowery, who finished last season ranked No. 121 after posting a 24-8 overall record, begins the season at No. 86. She will play a critical role for the ‘Canes at either first or second singles.

Applebaum and sophomore Patricia Starzyk were also ranked in singles. Applebaum compiled a 24-10 overall record and is No. 98 while Starzyk, who registered a 21-4 record during the spring, which included a 20-match unbeaten streak, is ranked No. 106.

The Hurricanes, led by Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews, finished their inaugural ACC season with a 21-5 overall record in 2005. They also advanced to the NCAA regional, where they lost to Georgia Tech, 4-3, in the round of 32. UM’s final rank was No. 13 in the nation and second in the ACC.

The Hurricanes will welcome a few newcomers to the squad this year, including the biggest pickup of the off season: Audra Cohen, a sophomore transfer from Northwestern University.

Cohen had a remarkable freshman season, where she earned All-American honors in both singles and doubles and was named the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Rookie of the Year. In her inaugural collegiate campaign, Cohen reached the finals of the NCAA Singles Championship as well as the semifinal of the NCAA Doubles Championship.

The Plantation native opened her collegiate career winning her first 23 singles matches and posted a 51-7 overall singles record this season. Cohen became one of only eight players to record at least 50 victories in the modern era of NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis and her 51 wins ties her for third all-time.

South Alabama transfer Ana Rupic and incoming freshman Monika Dancevic round out the Hurricanes’ 2005 recruiting class.

“This is probably the most significant recruiting class that I have had since taking over at Miami,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Their talent is evident, but what I’m most excited about is that these young women are hungry. They have personality, drive and vision. They will not settle for anything less than success.”

The ‘Canes will begin competition in Gainesville for the Gator Fall Classic this weekend.

Mike Holt can be contacted at m.holt1@umiami.edu.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...