UMNEWS – Hurricane efforts continue with ‘vision van’

The University of Miami’s Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is making efforts to contribute to hurricane relief projects by sending medical support to the Mississippi and Louisiana areas that were affected by Hurricane Katrina. The 40-foot bus will travel fully equipped with prescription glasses, sunglasses, contact lenses and a number of other eye care essentials. The purpose of the trip will be to attend to the medial necessities of those individuals who are unable to see an optimologist during this crisis. The items will be distributed on a need basis without cost.

In addition to supplying eye care products, there will be several doctors available for consultation and treatment aboard the “vision van,” as it is being called. The converted automobile boasts of an exam room, three screening rooms and state of the art equipment to meet the needs of the patients.

The specialized relief group will stay a minimum of two weeks in the Gulf area in an attempt to resolve any medical problems that the victims may be experiencing.

This is the first large-scale endeavor for the mobile group, which was made possible by the Josephine Leiser Foundation’s contribution of the RV last year.

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...