UMNEWS – Hurricane efforts continue with ‘vision van’

The University of Miami’s Bascom Palmer Eye Institute is making efforts to contribute to hurricane relief projects by sending medical support to the Mississippi and Louisiana areas that were affected by Hurricane Katrina. The 40-foot bus will travel fully equipped with prescription glasses, sunglasses, contact lenses and a number of other eye care essentials. The purpose of the trip will be to attend to the medial necessities of those individuals who are unable to see an optimologist during this crisis. The items will be distributed on a need basis without cost.

In addition to supplying eye care products, there will be several doctors available for consultation and treatment aboard the “vision van,” as it is being called. The converted automobile boasts of an exam room, three screening rooms and state of the art equipment to meet the needs of the patients.

The specialized relief group will stay a minimum of two weeks in the Gulf area in an attempt to resolve any medical problems that the victims may be experiencing.

This is the first large-scale endeavor for the mobile group, which was made possible by the Josephine Leiser Foundation’s contribution of the RV last year.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...