New, melodic metal

Once in a great while, a band emerges and breathes new life into modern music. With above-average ability and a thirst for pushing their creative limits, Avenged Sevenfold is that band. Blasting unique punk-metal that is tight and melodic, it is no surprise they have been blossoming as a group since grade school.

On Avenged Sevenfold’s new release City of Evil, the young rocker’s tunes are so well-crafted the appeal transcends all genres. A7X, as fans refer to the band, signed to Warner Brothers after two successful indie label releases. I chatted with guitarist extraordinaire Synyster Gates after their Warped Tour gig in Orlando and asked how City of Evil measures up.

“The album is huge!” he said. “It blows the others away, [it’s] so much more melodic.”

Gates is right, as City of Evil provides a sonic onslaught on par with A7X influences Iron Maiden, Pantera and Guns and Roses. The dual guitar sound Gates and Zacky Vengeance command is so crisp and flawless it leaves fellow musicians shaking their heads in equal parts approval and envy. Riff driven tunes such as “Burn it Down” and “Beast and the Harlot” are abundant throughout the 11-track release.

Setting A7X apart from mundane acts is the complexity of their songs. To have a seven-plu minute song, you have to be both ballsy and inventive. The tracks on this record average that length. They are never redundant, never boring, but always an adventure.

On “Seize the Day” and “Strength of the World,” A7X shows its diversity by slowing things down and incorporating acoustic guitars. Like every good roller coaster, it leaves you suspended before dropping into a maximum metal rush.

Singer M. Shadows is a perfect fit for the band. He doesn’t scream, just accents the music with great pitch and melody. Drummer The Reb is a double-bass monster, and his fills on “Blinded in Chains” fire with the consistency of a machine gun. Bassist Johnny Christ keeps things chugging along, highlighted by the Hunter S. Thompson tribute “Bat Country.” I can see Thompson driving coast to coast, top down, with this gem blasting on the radio fueling his spaced-out travels.

Avenged Sevenfold is notorious for its high-energy live show. I asked Gates if he is concerned for the safety of fans that mosh.

“Some are out of their minds. On hot days, kids will just drop like flies,” he said. “Lately, I’ve seen a transition to fans just enjoying themselves and listening to the music.”

Gates has high hopes for the band, saying that in five years, it will be “the first band on the moon.”

While on Earth, Synyster’s favorite cities to play are Vancouver, B.C. and hometown San Diego. Still, expect A7X to be playing and partying all-out when they gig at Revolution in Ft. Lauderdale on Oct. 17.

John Heslin can be contacted at j.heslin@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...