Men’s tennis dominates

The University of Miami men’s tennis team came out strong to begin the season at the Hurricanes Invitational.

The field of teams included Florida Atlantic University, Georgia Southern University and Stetson University. Miami lost one match in the entire tournament on the first day.

Miami won in straight sets in the singles matches in all of its victories but one. While the teams UM faced are not close to the Hurricanes in talent, the players were able to keep their focus and dominate their opposition.

Miami boasts some high-caliber talent on the singles side, with a total of four players ranked in the top 100. That puts the program in the elite company of ACC champion Virginia, Southeastern Conference Champion Florida, Big Ten Champion Illinois, Georgia and Texas as the only six teams with four ranked singles players. The Preseason Intercollegiate Tennis Association will stand as the official ranking throughout the entire fall season, which consists of only tournaments; there are no ACC matches.

The team is headed by junior Josh Cohen, who led the team last year as an All-ACC performer. Miami also picked up an All-SEC transfer and No. 26 overall from Alabama in junior Luigi D’Agord. The list is filled out by senior Tim Krebs and Eric Hechtman, who are ranked Nos. 62 and 100 respectively.

Miami also has two ranked doubles team with Cohen and D’Agord at No. 32 and Krebs and Hechtman at No. 50.

The squad will look to continue to build off the opening weekend in tournaments that include stops in Charlottesville, Va., Tampa, Gainesville, Tulsa, Okla. and Memphis, Tenn. over the next month. Miami begins its match schedule against Furman on Jan. 28.

Mario Rincon is in his second year as the Miami head coach. Rincon will look to continue the program

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...