Men’s tennis dominates

The University of Miami men’s tennis team came out strong to begin the season at the Hurricanes Invitational.

The field of teams included Florida Atlantic University, Georgia Southern University and Stetson University. Miami lost one match in the entire tournament on the first day.

Miami won in straight sets in the singles matches in all of its victories but one. While the teams UM faced are not close to the Hurricanes in talent, the players were able to keep their focus and dominate their opposition.

Miami boasts some high-caliber talent on the singles side, with a total of four players ranked in the top 100. That puts the program in the elite company of ACC champion Virginia, Southeastern Conference Champion Florida, Big Ten Champion Illinois, Georgia and Texas as the only six teams with four ranked singles players. The Preseason Intercollegiate Tennis Association will stand as the official ranking throughout the entire fall season, which consists of only tournaments; there are no ACC matches.

The team is headed by junior Josh Cohen, who led the team last year as an All-ACC performer. Miami also picked up an All-SEC transfer and No. 26 overall from Alabama in junior Luigi D’Agord. The list is filled out by senior Tim Krebs and Eric Hechtman, who are ranked Nos. 62 and 100 respectively.

Miami also has two ranked doubles team with Cohen and D’Agord at No. 32 and Krebs and Hechtman at No. 50.

The squad will look to continue to build off the opening weekend in tournaments that include stops in Charlottesville, Va., Tampa, Gainesville, Tulsa, Okla. and Memphis, Tenn. over the next month. Miami begins its match schedule against Furman on Jan. 28.

Mario Rincon is in his second year as the Miami head coach. Rincon will look to continue the program

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...