LETTER TO THE EDITOR

I’m part of a group of employees that has decided to oppose the Service Employees International Union because of its tactics.

First, I’m touched by Patrick Gibbons’s comments. Sometimes we find students’ words more valuable than $13 dollars an hour. Most of us need to hear that from you guys, not from our supervisors and managers.

After Hurricane Katrina we had to work really hard, yes, and we were paid accordingly. There wasn’t enough manpower to face such destruction, but we made it. More than the work that we do, more than getting $13 dollars an hour (that was what they promised us), we prefer to focus on the consideration and acceptance that comes from the students and faculty.

Yet, sometimes we feel denigrated in front of the students and faculty. We have to accept that some of them think we are the scum of the world. They should wear our shoes, so that they can see what it feels. It is not only from UNICCO that we expect something. UNICCO pays us for work; students and faculty should gratify us with words like Mr. Gibbons’s.

The SEIU divides and separates fellow employees, using scare tactics, lies, promises and most dangerously, pits the employee against the company. I have even heard one story of a SEIU worker telling female employees who didn’t want to sign any petition that they disgust him. Isn’t this harassment?

I’ve asked a couple of supervisors that are against the Union what they have to say about it. They say that we have the right to unionize, and they respect that decision. The company hasn’t made any drastic decision against any employee or discriminated or fired anyone because of SEIU. Everybody seems to be misinformed about that.

I recently became an American citizen. I adore this country; I will defend the freedom and democracy whatever it takes. I’m still working at UNICCO, working for a small wage, but at least I have a stable job until another opportunity comes along. SEIU wants employees to believe that their signature is their vote. No, no, no. A vote means a direct and secret vote, a secret ballot! I had my right to vote in the past elections and my vote counted! Why doesn’t SEIU want elections?

The other day SEIU approached some employees that haven’t yet signed its petition because they want an election, and SEIU told them to forget about the elections and just sign. I couldn’t believe what I heard-only tyrants say that. If I will defend democracy at whatever price it takes, I believe we should fight these wrong tactics of SEIU.

I thank Mr. Gibbons very much for his attention and hope that everyone begins supporting a fair race to the end. Let’s keep democracy alive in this institution. We all expect your help.

Mario Pelegrin – UNICCO employee

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...