Induce blends organic with electronic

“Music is my mistress and she plays second fiddle to no one.”

Thus begins Cycle, the debut album by Miami DJ Induce, and by the last song it’s evident that this line is more than just a sound bite; it’s the mantra by which he lives by.

The resident vinyl expert of Sweat Records, Induce has obviously worn the grooves out on countless records, and his intimate knowledge of the art of the groove gives his work a body and soul often absent from electronic music.

A perfect example of Induce’s careful blend of the electronic with the organic is “Call,” which makes use of live drums, dark, brooding Rhodes piano and a flute solo by former UM student Kevin Russell. The digital modifications serve merely to heighten the tension, never distracting from the expressiveness of the instruments.

From angelic voices on “Color Clouds Blue” to Curtis Mayfield-esque strings on “Resuscitation,” Induce finds the perfect hooks to draw listeners in to his minimalist landscapes, his mix free of superfluous elements. The middle of the album takes this idea a step further with several ambient, atmospheric songs that suggest natural settings-the rustling of the wind, an airport, a seaside.

The standout track, “Coletrane’s Brain,” is a masterful sound collage in the vein of DJ Shadow’s Endtroducing that features jazz aficionados discussing the indelible bond between jazz and American idealism over an acoustic piano riff and snippets of sax solos. One of the speakers says, “it’s the sound of America when it becomes itself,” and in paying tribute to his musical heroes Induce is doing his best to expedite that process.

Sweat Records will host a Cycle CD release party on Tuesday, Oct. 4.

Matt Gajewski can be contacted at m.gajewski@miami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...