Elsewhere – ‘Black liquor’ a potential fuel source

(U-WIRE) PROVO, Utah-Money may not grow on trees, but Larry Baxter, Brigham Young University professor of chemical engineering, said there is a substance in trees that can supplement the United States’ dependence on foreign petroleum.

For the past 10 years, Baxter has focused his research on biomass combustion, which attempts to maximize the energy potential in material, which is usually discarded. One possible source of energy, Baxter said, is a liquid called black liquor.

“Imagine a tree,” he said. “Trees get made into paper, among other things, and so if you consider the part of the tree that doesn’t get made into paper, that’s the black liquor.”

Baxter said the liquid has the potential to replace about 11 percent of the United State’s imported petroleum. In addition, there are other benefits to considering black liquor as a fuel option.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...