UMNEWS – A landmark deal

In a pact that aims to bolster South Florida’s biotech industry, create thousands of jobs and provide hope to the homeless, the University of Miami and the city of Miami have agreed on a land swap deal that will satisfy needs for both entities. Under the terms of the deal, the University will build a

1.4 million-square-foot bioscience research center on almost eight acres of land currently controlled by Camillus House, a charity serving the poor. In return, UM will give more than an acre of land on which Camillus House will build a new facility for the poor and homeless.

Located in Miami’s Allapattah neighborhood, the entire area involved in the land swap is bordered by NW 20th Street to the north, SR 836 to the south, NW 7th Avenue to the west and I-95 to the east. With the bioscience center, UM will double its employment in the city of Miami over the next five to ten years, said UM President Donna E. Shalala. In addition, the many health-related initiatives and programs of the University’s Miller School of Medicine will help support the impoverished of Camillus House, Shalala said.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...