UMNEWS – A landmark deal

In a pact that aims to bolster South Florida’s biotech industry, create thousands of jobs and provide hope to the homeless, the University of Miami and the city of Miami have agreed on a land swap deal that will satisfy needs for both entities. Under the terms of the deal, the University will build a

1.4 million-square-foot bioscience research center on almost eight acres of land currently controlled by Camillus House, a charity serving the poor. In return, UM will give more than an acre of land on which Camillus House will build a new facility for the poor and homeless.

Located in Miami’s Allapattah neighborhood, the entire area involved in the land swap is bordered by NW 20th Street to the north, SR 836 to the south, NW 7th Avenue to the west and I-95 to the east. With the bioscience center, UM will double its employment in the city of Miami over the next five to ten years, said UM President Donna E. Shalala. In addition, the many health-related initiatives and programs of the University’s Miller School of Medicine will help support the impoverished of Camillus House, Shalala said.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...