UMNEWS – A landmark deal

In a pact that aims to bolster South Florida’s biotech industry, create thousands of jobs and provide hope to the homeless, the University of Miami and the city of Miami have agreed on a land swap deal that will satisfy needs for both entities. Under the terms of the deal, the University will build a

1.4 million-square-foot bioscience research center on almost eight acres of land currently controlled by Camillus House, a charity serving the poor. In return, UM will give more than an acre of land on which Camillus House will build a new facility for the poor and homeless.

Located in Miami’s Allapattah neighborhood, the entire area involved in the land swap is bordered by NW 20th Street to the north, SR 836 to the south, NW 7th Avenue to the west and I-95 to the east. With the bioscience center, UM will double its employment in the city of Miami over the next five to ten years, said UM President Donna E. Shalala. In addition, the many health-related initiatives and programs of the University’s Miller School of Medicine will help support the impoverished of Camillus House, Shalala said.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...