Rap is crap

You know, I love turning on the radio and hearing some guy talking about how much money he has and how I’ll never be able to “step to him”, then turning the station and listening to how Lil’ Kim gives guys “high blood pressure like a diabetic.” Thanks, Kim, and by the way diabetics have high blood sugar, not pressure, idiot, but hey, anything to make the last word in your stanza rhyme, right?

It seems that the current stream of rap and hip-hop in the last two years has been nothing short of uninspired, unintelligent and purposeless drivel that has been packaged for an MTV-brainwashed generation. Gone are the days of Public Enemy, Run DMC and even early Tupac Shakur-rappers whose songs had purpose and a message. Now we have songs such as “Laffy Taffy,” “In ‘da club” or, one of my favorites, “Jones.” How a man can use his name as a background beat and call it music is beyond me. The fathers of rap must be shaking their heads in collective astonishment at how their creation has turned into an abomination.

Songs about social and political strife have vanished, with rappers now talking about how they “dug some hoe out.” Amazing lyrics about the struggle to survive on the streets have been replaced with lyrics of lavish excess and arrogant lyrical self-pleasure. Even those who feign in-depth thought like Kanye West and Jadakiss can’t resist the temptation to stroke their egos. Jadakiss, in his song “Why,” has to add several lines praising himself in what would otherwise be a thought-provoking song.

Now I beg the question-how would you like it if some guy came up to you and said, “Yo, I am better than you at everything you’ll ever do. I banged your girlfriend and your mom, then I stole your car; don’t be mad, it’s just part of the game.” Chances are you’d slug him so hard he’d fly out of his un-tied shoes (rappers don’t tie their shoes because tying your shoes makes you soft).

By buying one of those rap albums, you’re giving that same guy $15. Oh, and ladies, I know how much you want a guy whispering in your ear about how he’s going to “beat dat p**** up.” Such talk is degrading and disrespectful-get some class, morons.

I implore you to take a stand against such ridiculous music being put forward that has obviously affected our society so much that even a multinational company like McDonald’s has changed its slogan to the grammatically incorrect “I’m lovin’ it.” As a lexiconnoisseur I am appalled. The music propagates a society of materialistic, arrogant chauvinists and anybody supporting it is merely promoting this behavior.

Jovanni Bello can be contacted at j.bello2@umiami.edu.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...