Rap is crap

You know, I love turning on the radio and hearing some guy talking about how much money he has and how I’ll never be able to “step to him”, then turning the station and listening to how Lil’ Kim gives guys “high blood pressure like a diabetic.” Thanks, Kim, and by the way diabetics have high blood sugar, not pressure, idiot, but hey, anything to make the last word in your stanza rhyme, right?

It seems that the current stream of rap and hip-hop in the last two years has been nothing short of uninspired, unintelligent and purposeless drivel that has been packaged for an MTV-brainwashed generation. Gone are the days of Public Enemy, Run DMC and even early Tupac Shakur-rappers whose songs had purpose and a message. Now we have songs such as “Laffy Taffy,” “In ‘da club” or, one of my favorites, “Jones.” How a man can use his name as a background beat and call it music is beyond me. The fathers of rap must be shaking their heads in collective astonishment at how their creation has turned into an abomination.

Songs about social and political strife have vanished, with rappers now talking about how they “dug some hoe out.” Amazing lyrics about the struggle to survive on the streets have been replaced with lyrics of lavish excess and arrogant lyrical self-pleasure. Even those who feign in-depth thought like Kanye West and Jadakiss can’t resist the temptation to stroke their egos. Jadakiss, in his song “Why,” has to add several lines praising himself in what would otherwise be a thought-provoking song.

Now I beg the question-how would you like it if some guy came up to you and said, “Yo, I am better than you at everything you’ll ever do. I banged your girlfriend and your mom, then I stole your car; don’t be mad, it’s just part of the game.” Chances are you’d slug him so hard he’d fly out of his un-tied shoes (rappers don’t tie their shoes because tying your shoes makes you soft).

By buying one of those rap albums, you’re giving that same guy $15. Oh, and ladies, I know how much you want a guy whispering in your ear about how he’s going to “beat dat p**** up.” Such talk is degrading and disrespectful-get some class, morons.

I implore you to take a stand against such ridiculous music being put forward that has obviously affected our society so much that even a multinational company like McDonald’s has changed its slogan to the grammatically incorrect “I’m lovin’ it.” As a lexiconnoisseur I am appalled. The music propagates a society of materialistic, arrogant chauvinists and anybody supporting it is merely promoting this behavior.

Jovanni Bello can be contacted at j.bello2@umiami.edu.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...