Rap is crap

You know, I love turning on the radio and hearing some guy talking about how much money he has and how I’ll never be able to “step to him”, then turning the station and listening to how Lil’ Kim gives guys “high blood pressure like a diabetic.” Thanks, Kim, and by the way diabetics have high blood sugar, not pressure, idiot, but hey, anything to make the last word in your stanza rhyme, right?

It seems that the current stream of rap and hip-hop in the last two years has been nothing short of uninspired, unintelligent and purposeless drivel that has been packaged for an MTV-brainwashed generation. Gone are the days of Public Enemy, Run DMC and even early Tupac Shakur-rappers whose songs had purpose and a message. Now we have songs such as “Laffy Taffy,” “In ‘da club” or, one of my favorites, “Jones.” How a man can use his name as a background beat and call it music is beyond me. The fathers of rap must be shaking their heads in collective astonishment at how their creation has turned into an abomination.

Songs about social and political strife have vanished, with rappers now talking about how they “dug some hoe out.” Amazing lyrics about the struggle to survive on the streets have been replaced with lyrics of lavish excess and arrogant lyrical self-pleasure. Even those who feign in-depth thought like Kanye West and Jadakiss can’t resist the temptation to stroke their egos. Jadakiss, in his song “Why,” has to add several lines praising himself in what would otherwise be a thought-provoking song.

Now I beg the question-how would you like it if some guy came up to you and said, “Yo, I am better than you at everything you’ll ever do. I banged your girlfriend and your mom, then I stole your car; don’t be mad, it’s just part of the game.” Chances are you’d slug him so hard he’d fly out of his un-tied shoes (rappers don’t tie their shoes because tying your shoes makes you soft).

By buying one of those rap albums, you’re giving that same guy $15. Oh, and ladies, I know how much you want a guy whispering in your ear about how he’s going to “beat dat p**** up.” Such talk is degrading and disrespectful-get some class, morons.

I implore you to take a stand against such ridiculous music being put forward that has obviously affected our society so much that even a multinational company like McDonald’s has changed its slogan to the grammatically incorrect “I’m lovin’ it.” As a lexiconnoisseur I am appalled. The music propagates a society of materialistic, arrogant chauvinists and anybody supporting it is merely promoting this behavior.

Jovanni Bello can be contacted at j.bello2@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...