Keep mutual friends even after a break up

Recently my boyfriend broke up with me and I am having a very hard time getting over him. To make matters worse, while dating we became friends with each other’s friends. The problem with all of this is that I’m not comfortable enough with my friends hanging out with him yet and when they do hang out with him they try to keep it a secret, like I won’t find out about it. I invited a good friend out with a bunch of other friends, and she didn’t want to go out, but when I came back a couple hours later he was in her room with a couple of other people. I feel she didn’t go out because she knew she was going to hang out with him. What should I do?

Trying desperately to get over it

Dear Reader,

I’m glad that you’ve managed to pick up at least one scumbag friend at UM, bravo! Everyone needs at least one, don’t you think? Your “good” friend’s behavior was atrocious, and I would seriously question your “good” friendship with her. The last time I checked, “good” friends didn’t beat around the shady bush with ex-boyfriends. But, hey, I might be the only person living in that world. Oh yeah, is that friend of yours on the rebound or single and looking? Pretty screwed up.

Anyway, dividing mutual friends when a relationship falls apart is usually tricky and awkward for everyone involved. Even my ancient and wise parents still have a hard time following “divorced friends protocol” with their formerly married, but now divorced, friends. The general rule of thumb is that the friendship remains intact with the original friend. I know that it’s a dumb rule because the bonds of friendship should never be able to be broken, etc., etc., but sometimes it is imperative for the greater good to sever the binding ties. In your case, your dumb and insensitive friends need to recognize this fact, especially since you mentioned that you’re having a hard time getting over him.

OK, so it’s not as if you can approach your ex-boyfriend and ask him to stop hanging out with your friends. That would just be creepy-really creepy and really strange. But I don’t think that it would be as big of a deal to approach your “friends” and let them know that you’re still having a hard time with the breakup and that you kind of don’t appreciate their friendships with your boyfriend. If these people are your friends (and I am skeptical, sorry, especially of the “good” friend that you mention), they would know enough to not be so insensitive; it is one thing for your friends to say hello to your ex in passing, or to maintain their friendships with him in other, more covert ways. Basically, since your friend denied your invitation to go out in favor of seeing him, she slapped you in the face. Clearly, her friend loyalties lean more strongly towards him than towards you. And, if a good venting session with and at her doesn’t set things straight, it’s time to axe her temporarily. She is clearly not going to serve her friendly purpose as a support system. So, why bother? Girls are so rotten.

Best of luck!

V.

Fact O’ the Day…Citing a recent study, people who have sex once or twice a week have slightly boosted immune systems compared to those who don’t.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...