Keep mutual friends even after a break up

Recently my boyfriend broke up with me and I am having a very hard time getting over him. To make matters worse, while dating we became friends with each other’s friends. The problem with all of this is that I’m not comfortable enough with my friends hanging out with him yet and when they do hang out with him they try to keep it a secret, like I won’t find out about it. I invited a good friend out with a bunch of other friends, and she didn’t want to go out, but when I came back a couple hours later he was in her room with a couple of other people. I feel she didn’t go out because she knew she was going to hang out with him. What should I do?

Trying desperately to get over it

Dear Reader,

I’m glad that you’ve managed to pick up at least one scumbag friend at UM, bravo! Everyone needs at least one, don’t you think? Your “good” friend’s behavior was atrocious, and I would seriously question your “good” friendship with her. The last time I checked, “good” friends didn’t beat around the shady bush with ex-boyfriends. But, hey, I might be the only person living in that world. Oh yeah, is that friend of yours on the rebound or single and looking? Pretty screwed up.

Anyway, dividing mutual friends when a relationship falls apart is usually tricky and awkward for everyone involved. Even my ancient and wise parents still have a hard time following “divorced friends protocol” with their formerly married, but now divorced, friends. The general rule of thumb is that the friendship remains intact with the original friend. I know that it’s a dumb rule because the bonds of friendship should never be able to be broken, etc., etc., but sometimes it is imperative for the greater good to sever the binding ties. In your case, your dumb and insensitive friends need to recognize this fact, especially since you mentioned that you’re having a hard time getting over him.

OK, so it’s not as if you can approach your ex-boyfriend and ask him to stop hanging out with your friends. That would just be creepy-really creepy and really strange. But I don’t think that it would be as big of a deal to approach your “friends” and let them know that you’re still having a hard time with the breakup and that you kind of don’t appreciate their friendships with your boyfriend. If these people are your friends (and I am skeptical, sorry, especially of the “good” friend that you mention), they would know enough to not be so insensitive; it is one thing for your friends to say hello to your ex in passing, or to maintain their friendships with him in other, more covert ways. Basically, since your friend denied your invitation to go out in favor of seeing him, she slapped you in the face. Clearly, her friend loyalties lean more strongly towards him than towards you. And, if a good venting session with and at her doesn’t set things straight, it’s time to axe her temporarily. She is clearly not going to serve her friendly purpose as a support system. So, why bother? Girls are so rotten.

Best of luck!

V.

Fact O’ the Day…Citing a recent study, people who have sex once or twice a week have slightly boosted immune systems compared to those who don’t.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...