With never gone, Backstreet’s back!

According to their latest album title, the Backstreet Boys were Never Gone, but until its release, the boy band’s former teeny-bopper fans led lives that could only be described as “Incomplete,” the name of the album’s first single. Resident bad-boy A.J. McLean taps into the souls of fans who desperately missed their favorite purveyor of saccharine slow jams and bubblegum pop as he croons, “Empty spaces fill me up with holes/distant faces with no place left to go.”

The album begins with the obvious best tracks of the album, the aforementioned “Incomplete” and their second single, “Just Want You To Know.” The latter delights with an infectious beat and happy-go-lucky lyrics that are sure to please, even without viewing the song’s hilarious, ’80’s hair band spoofing video.

It’s too bad that the quality of the album takes a sharp turn for the worse a third of the way in, and continues to follow a sinusoidal, rollercoaster wave as the BSB throw in some downright awful songs.

The only redeeming factor of the album’s abysmal body are tracks that drop the tempo like “Crawling Back To You” and “Siberia.” Ever since their debut in 1997, Backstreet’s strong suit has alway boy band is no different.

Those who never wanted BSB “that way” won’t be won over this time, and those who abandoned their “BSBLuvr4Eva” screennames after Black and Blue will leave this disc on album shelves and download the singles if they get nostalgic. Only the die-hard who dreamed of Nick, Brian, A.J., Kevin and Howie’s return to the limelight will be able to tolerate all 12 tracks to believe BSB was Never Gone.

Hannah Bae can be contacted at h.bae@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...