Smelly carpet has got to go

When the lower lounge in the UC flooded after Hurricane Katrina it wasn’t pleasant, but after seeing the power of the wind and rain a little damage was expected. Soggy carpets and an unpleasant odor permeated the area for days.

After UNICCO workers patiently swept the water out and aired out the area, it was possible to sit in the lounge without getting a headache from the stench. Even at this point we had to wonder if the University was going to do anything to fix the leaks that caused the flooding.

This past weekend the carpet in the lounge was once again soaked through and that unmistakable odor was back. Unlike the last time, though, there was no hurricane to point to as the culprit of the problem. This time it was just a strong rainstorm, something that’s not an unusual occurrence in South Florida. As of Wednesday there was still a slightly unpleasant, although bearable, smell in the lounge.

While UM is clearing away the remainder of the debris from trees, could it please go ahead and remove the carpet and replace it with something that isn’t going to cause students to roll their jeans up or pull out their wellies anytime they want to walk through the lounge? Or if the carpet is indispensable, perhaps fixing the UC doors or floor so that the building doesn’t flood could be the next (and possibly more expensive) step.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...