Smelly carpet has got to go

When the lower lounge in the UC flooded after Hurricane Katrina it wasn’t pleasant, but after seeing the power of the wind and rain a little damage was expected. Soggy carpets and an unpleasant odor permeated the area for days.

After UNICCO workers patiently swept the water out and aired out the area, it was possible to sit in the lounge without getting a headache from the stench. Even at this point we had to wonder if the University was going to do anything to fix the leaks that caused the flooding.

This past weekend the carpet in the lounge was once again soaked through and that unmistakable odor was back. Unlike the last time, though, there was no hurricane to point to as the culprit of the problem. This time it was just a strong rainstorm, something that’s not an unusual occurrence in South Florida. As of Wednesday there was still a slightly unpleasant, although bearable, smell in the lounge.

While UM is clearing away the remainder of the debris from trees, could it please go ahead and remove the carpet and replace it with something that isn’t going to cause students to roll their jeans up or pull out their wellies anytime they want to walk through the lounge? Or if the carpet is indispensable, perhaps fixing the UC doors or floor so that the building doesn’t flood could be the next (and possibly more expensive) step.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...