Freshman Rigamat makes teammates, family proud

As the youngest in a family of athletes, women’s soccer midfielder Rachel Rigamat is always competing with her four siblings for notoriety.

Rigamat, a freshman from La Crescenta, Calif., was named the SoccerFLA.com player of the week after her two goal performance led the Hurricanes to a 3-0 upset over No. 14 Princeton in the 2005 Miami Tournament.

The victory marks the Hurricanes’ first over a ranked opponent since 2003, when they beat No. 10 UConn.

However, Rigamat said that being from such a dynamic family of athletes has taught her to give credit where it’s due.

“Being individually recognized was exciting and a huge honor, but the whole team played well and the team really deserves this award,” Rigamat said. “We upset a very good club in Princeton and should be acknowledged for that.”

One of the most important influences in Rigamat’s life is her sister, Stephanie, who originally got Rigamat into soccer when they were kids in the backyard. Stephanie was also a standout soccer player at Irvine University and UCLA and now coaches at UNLV.

“[Stephanie] was a huge influence on my soccer career,” Rigamat said. “My parents were really strict on all of us, so I was just more into soccer growing up and we would play for hours together.”

Rigamat went on to become a four-year letter winner in track and field, breaking the 400-meter record at Crescenta Valley High School.

The climate, unique campus environment and soccer program drew Rigamat to UM without hesitation.

“I knew when I went to college I always wanted to play soccer,” Rigamat said. “So when I first visited UM I loved the campus instantly, and the coaches were great, the girls were really nice and I just enjoyed the overall experience and atmosphere here.”

Currently, Rigamat, who has not declared a major, takes classes in children’s education. One day she hopes to work with children as a counselor.

In the meantime, Rigamat continues to adjust to college life and soccer in the ACC.

“It is much different game, much faster, much more aggressive and everyone is a lot stronger,” Rigamat said. “Coming in as a freshman, I think everybody is a little bit intimidated by the ACC schedule. Fortunately, I was more intimidated about fitting in with my team when I came in than playing against anyone else.”

Mike Holt can be contacted at m.holt1@umiami.edu.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...