Freshman Rigamat makes teammates, family proud

As the youngest in a family of athletes, women’s soccer midfielder Rachel Rigamat is always competing with her four siblings for notoriety.

Rigamat, a freshman from La Crescenta, Calif., was named the SoccerFLA.com player of the week after her two goal performance led the Hurricanes to a 3-0 upset over No. 14 Princeton in the 2005 Miami Tournament.

The victory marks the Hurricanes’ first over a ranked opponent since 2003, when they beat No. 10 UConn.

However, Rigamat said that being from such a dynamic family of athletes has taught her to give credit where it’s due.

“Being individually recognized was exciting and a huge honor, but the whole team played well and the team really deserves this award,” Rigamat said. “We upset a very good club in Princeton and should be acknowledged for that.”

One of the most important influences in Rigamat’s life is her sister, Stephanie, who originally got Rigamat into soccer when they were kids in the backyard. Stephanie was also a standout soccer player at Irvine University and UCLA and now coaches at UNLV.

“[Stephanie] was a huge influence on my soccer career,” Rigamat said. “My parents were really strict on all of us, so I was just more into soccer growing up and we would play for hours together.”

Rigamat went on to become a four-year letter winner in track and field, breaking the 400-meter record at Crescenta Valley High School.

The climate, unique campus environment and soccer program drew Rigamat to UM without hesitation.

“I knew when I went to college I always wanted to play soccer,” Rigamat said. “So when I first visited UM I loved the campus instantly, and the coaches were great, the girls were really nice and I just enjoyed the overall experience and atmosphere here.”

Currently, Rigamat, who has not declared a major, takes classes in children’s education. One day she hopes to work with children as a counselor.

In the meantime, Rigamat continues to adjust to college life and soccer in the ACC.

“It is much different game, much faster, much more aggressive and everyone is a lot stronger,” Rigamat said. “Coming in as a freshman, I think everybody is a little bit intimidated by the ACC schedule. Fortunately, I was more intimidated about fitting in with my team when I came in than playing against anyone else.”

Mike Holt can be contacted at m.holt1@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...