Elsewhere – Aussie court calls Kazaa illegal

Daily Pennsylvanian (U. Pennsylvania)

(U-WIRE) PHILADELPHIA – Students who rely on file sharing networks might soon be losing their software, thanks to the wave of lawsuits against companies that provide such services. Last Monday, Sharman Networks, owner of popular file sharing software Kazaa, lost an 18-month legal battle in the Australian court.

The court ruled Kazaa illegal based on Australian copyright laws, as the Recording Industry Association of America called the ruling a “global victory for legitimate online music services,” in an official statement by the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Mitch Bainwol.

“This decision reflects a growing, international chorus: Those who promote theft can be held accountable no matter how they may attempt to escape responsibility,” Bainwol added.

Before, there used to be a centralized system such as Napster, from which users could download files-now software such as Kazaa allow users to exchange files directly.

The music service could cost students around $2 per month, but the files will be systematically “tethered” in that they won’t get saved in student’s individual computers.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...