CONCERT REVIEW – Local performers express folk talent at North Beach Bandshell

On Saturday, Sept. 10, at the North Beach Bandshell, amid a backdrop of painted palm trees and art deco aqua and blue, close to 100 people gathered to see two local performers’ unique takes on acoustic folk music.

The first act, Raffa Jo and Rainer Davies, performed a quiet, intimate set, with audience members sitting cross-legged on the stage a few feet away. Raffa’s quirky original songs were perfectly complemented by her sweet, lilting voice and Davies’ tasteful guitar picking. The final song, about a girl contemplating becoming a bug, featured the line,”maybe I’m better off being just what I am / no one can smash me just with one hand.”

Next was Jesse Jackson, a singer-songwriter who has called Miami his home since 2000. Clad in plaid pajama pants and playing a Latin American instrument called the cuatro, Jackson’s commanding voice emanated from a tiny amplifier, the distortion causing him to sound like Delta blues singer from the 1930s howling out of a Victrola record player. As he played a minor key strut about lovemaking in a telephone booth “on a little bit of whisky and vermouth,” one could almost imagine the mural of a serene bayside behind him turning into the fa

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...