Pain at the pump

$1.90. $2.04. $2.50. $2.75. $2.91. $3.02. In a short span of several months, Americans have witnessed the inflation of gasoline prices at their local gas stations, and at the University of Miami, students are also feeling the pinch.

“Oddly enough, I was just getting used to having to pay about $2.60 a gallon for gas every week or two,” Eric Suarez, senior, said. “My truck used to get nearly full off $20, and now it costs that much to get a bit over half a tank.”

“It takes 40 bucks to fill my tank, and I only drive an Altima,” Alex Orantes, graduate student, said. “That’s $200 a month in gas. I sometimes wonder if it’s a government conspiracy. Think about it, even if it goes up to six, seven, eight dollars, we still need that gas.”

The government is working on ways to aid consumers’ need for gas. In Florida, for example, Gov. Jeb Bush announced last week that he would consider cutting the gas tax, according to an article published in the Herald Tribune on Sept. 3. The only way that the tax, which is currently about 16.7 cents a gallon, can be reduced is if the Legislature, which will not convene until sometime in November, approves it. In the meantime, students are left to create their own gas-saving methods.

“I took up skateboarding over the summer so I don’t have to drive to campus every day,” Suarez said. “I live close enough to board over in the morning and board home later on, unless I catch a ride.”

Some students are doubling up their hours at work to make more money.

“I work a lot more hours [these days], and am going out a lot less,” Desi Delgado, senior, said.

Others are just sucking it up and forking over their dollars at the pump.

“I’ve learned not to worry about it [anymore],” Chris Contreras, junior, said. “The more I worry about it, the more stress builds up.”

“There’s nothing I can really do about it, so I curse a little and go where I have to go,” Liz Cepero, sophomore, said.

Students aren’t the only ones brainstorming for ideas on how to conserve their gas. Experts are working hard to come up with ways that could ease the inflating gas prices.

“The United States needs a strategic gasoline reserve,” said Dr. John M. Mezias, Associate Professor of Management specializing in environmental and social responsibility at UM. “Releasing crude oil from the petroleum reserve cannot help the shortfall in gasoline due to inactivity at the gas refineries in the Gulf Coast region. The lag time for developing crude oil into gasoline also suggests a need for astrategic gasoline reserve.”

According to an article published on CNN’s website on Sept. 8, U.S. Department of Energy Secretary Bill Richardson claims that gas prices will stabilize. The question is, when? The answer is still unclear.

“I miss the good ole times when I’d pay a buck and a half instead of an arm or a leg,” Orantes said. “But hey, what can you do? God bless America.”

Christine Dominguez can be contacted at c.dominguez3@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...