New sorority members revealed at Bid Day

Large groups of girls gathered at the University Center Patio Saturday with excitement and nervousness increasing with each passing minute. Bid Day had finally arrived.

For the 412 recruits, each hoping for a spot in one of the seven Panhellenic sororities on campus, this was the moment in which they would receive the envelope that held their invitation to a sorority.

Before Bid Day, recruits had attended numerous events for four days to meet current members and learn about the differences in each of the sororities. After the first two nights of learning about the sororities and their philanthropies, recruits were invited back by specific sororities based on who the current members thought would fit well in the group. These invitations, combined with the individuals’ preferences, determine which sororities the recruit spends the next two days with.

The third night is spent with three sororities and the last night the recruit spends with her top two choices. During this time the sororities are ranking each potential new member. The invitations handed out on Bid Day are based on these rankings and the recruit’s choices.

“The last couple nights of recruitment really help us to get to know the girls the best we can. We are able to move past the superficial conversations and really learn who they are as people,” Deiedre Schwiring, a junior in Alpha Delta Pi, said. “This way we can see if they are what we look for in a sister and they can see where they fit in the best.”

On Bid Day the recruits still had no idea what sorority they were going to end up in, although they all had their favorites. As they opened their envelopes, screams, squeals and shouts of excitement filled the UC Patio.

“I wanted to join a sorority to get a good group of friends and I got into my first choice of Zeta Tau Alpha,” Kim Perrin, freshman, said.

The new members received their sorority’s T-shirt, put it on, covered it with another shirt and then headed to the Rock for the last portion of the event.

“We are all so excited on Bid Day to see who our new sisters are. Group by group they line up on the Rock and together tear off a shirt to reveal what sorority they are in,” Schwiring said. “They then get attacked by older sisters with hugs and cheers as they are pulled off to their new sorority.”

While recruitment may be over for the new sisters, most sororities have additional sessions to teach them more about their organization. The process ends later this semester when new members officially become sisters after going through the sorority’s initiation.

Fraternity Bid Day, which takes place after a less formal recruitment process, was on Friday.

Catherine Howden can be contacted at c.howden@umiami.edu.

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...