Kaplan becomes official UM test-prep provider

Move over, Princeton Review. Kaplan is taking over at UM. The University recently entered into an exclusive agreement with Kaplan test-prep company, which renders all agreements with other test-prep companies void.

“It was time for [contract]renewal, and as we had in the past we had requested proposals,” Brian Blythe, director of test preparation programs, said. “We decided that Kaplan would meet the students’ and the University’s needs better [than Princeton Review].”

This new policy primarily affects organizations that are geared toward postgraduate programs, such as pre-med or pre-law honor societies. These organizations are often sponsored by a test-prep provider and work closely with each other.

Previously, the University had an agreement with Princeton Review, but many organizations still used Kaplan’s services because there was little communication between administration and students concerning the matter.

“There was misunderstanding I think in the past with student groups,” Blythe said. “Basically, the left hand didn’t know what the right hand was doing.”

Thus, the new contract has little effect on organizations that were already working with Kaplan while the University was contracted with Princeton Review.

Alpha Epsilon Delta (AED), the national pre-med honor society, is satisfied with the agreement because they have already been working with Kaplan for a number of years.

“Kaplan is our backbone; we actually got a new contract with Kaplan last year which really gave us a lot of funding,” Amit Jain, vice president of fellowship for AED, said. “In return we promote them at our meetings and publicize their programs.”

However, Phi Alpha Delta (PAD) pre-legal fraternity will have to negotiate a new contract, since they had been working with Princeton Review.

“We’re not supposed to be using Princeton Review so we have been speaking with Kaplan, but so far no agreement has been reached with them,” Beatriz Gonzalez, PAD vice president, said. “It not only affects our members receiving discounts but also our fundraising, so overall everything we provide to our members has decreased.”

Dr. Elisah Lewis, PAD advisor, is optimistic that a new agreement will be reached.

“We’re still in the process of contacting them to try to develop a positive relationship with them,” Dr. Lewis said.

In order to set up a new contract with Kaplan, the student group simply needs to contact Anthony Coloca, the Kaplan representative for UM.

“[Kaplan] will work with student groups. There’s a platinum, a gold and a silver level of how involved an organization wants to be with Kaplan,” Blythe said.

Ultimately, the goal is to achieve mutual agreements between Kaplan and the individual organizations that will use their services.

“We help them, they help us,” Jain said. “And they help us significantly.”

For more information, contact Anthony Coloca at 305-284-0090, or email Anthony_Coloca@kaplan.com.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...